Linux Ubuntu 11.04 not even booting to desktop stage?

phantom555

In Runtime
Hello,
i had been using windows vista for so many years without problem now using windows 7. But just a week ago my pc due to as usual summer temperatures of bombay crashed HD my windows vista. So i was searching for my windows vista booting cd. And i found linux 9.04 bootable cd which i thought lets see what inside could do? So i checked it found it was a DVD which turned formatted by ntfs system to ext3 filesystem. Now i was not sure what was earlier this all about, and now i was in trouble as the ubuntu 9.04 was taking more than 7 hours to even start the initial stages of fresh os install. I then tried diskpart to convert format filesystem from ext3 to again ntfs system but still unyielding. So then i searched for a later version of ubuntu on a 2009 retailer pc mag cd. So i then burnt a bootable cd of ubuntu 11.04 and booted it to my pc system which i found quick took 12 hours to complete install with filesystem conversion to ext4. Now then i first booted the ubuntu 11.04 it started the maroon screen with booting options but later stuck up hanged with blank screens cursors with some system sequence initializations. Now i checked over the net if any others users had such experiences as they had graphics system inability issues. So i did edit the resolve for to change the booting screen to e' menu perhaps system command lines, and set flash to momodest as suggested for my card nvidia. But still after pressing f10 it doesn't saves and continues the same loop sequence of not booting correctly and slowing initializations.
So can you advise me to correct this or should how then i convert to ntfs to install windows 7 or vista as my HD is still in good condition?
I just luckily booted after more than 15mins. to desktop but it doesn't giving any smooth working cursor conditions but slow response to opening clicking of programs and pages!! And its also showing that HD is failing drive?!!!
My processor speed and RAM i think are enough to operate it!! So whats the lagging issue i am failing to understand...!!
Or is it the thermistor, diodes and capicitors on the mobo, which are heatup elements slowing down the system....?

Last edited:
Ubuntu 11.04 is a old non supported release, please if possible download another version of Linux that is more current like Linux Mint 18.
Also slow boot speeds can mean your hard disk might have had itself cooked to death, so possibly you need a new one.
Its unlikely if the hard disk is having issues with linux that it would work magically with windows as a slow hard disk in linux will remain slow in windows.

you mean my Hard drive is gone....but really linux is weird....if newer hard drive and still the problems persist, then mobo might be wrong? incompatible?

I would more blame the hard disk, you could see if you can get the S.M.A.R.T data from it via disk utility on a linux live image.
Linux isnt weird its just different, its like using a mac without paying nine trillion dollars for a intel computer with a stupid fruit logo on it.

So what i did myself is to make a bootable CD of old win XP and through recovery mode formated it the main partition to fat32 and it happened quickly does that mean hard drive is ok.
Then i again tried win vista but it required to change the file system to ntfs system. So i then reverted to winXP clean install and then the file system did formatted to ntfs......see whether the hard drive can last further really or not!!!

Now after so many hours finally a clean install with saving system configuration 100% did happened,...but when it rebooted..
error showed reading drive error...
press for restart

so i again rebooted into the winxp recovery console and did bootcfg, fixboot and even fix mbr...but to no positive result...
so whats giving the error of not booting into the winXP welcome page even after completing installation?

Again it could be a bad hard drive.
It happens, and no OS will fix a failing hared drive.
Even if it runs with XP its probably at the end of the tether.

Run a chkdsk. If at the end of the disk check, it shows bad sectors, that means the drive is probably having issues.

chkdsk C: /f /r

yes i have run chkdsk and it gives bemusing repair results saying no bad clusters as well. So hard disk might be perhaps wearing out i guess. Any other suggestions ?
Temp. monitor in the bios says 45 degree celcious...put the HD in the freezer and then run perhaps would help?

I accidentally had formatted the system partition files of booting while i was trying to format ubuntu from my system hardrive. So when i fresh installed win Xp it never booted!!! So now i have corrected to bring back the partition drive, but what essentials files did i accidentally deleted!!!? I wanted to know that if they are installed at each installation of whatever windows OS suppose vista assignes some allocated space for system partition files. So i needn;t to install them manually through MSdos?

Back
Top Bottom