Linux shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I'm wanting to set up a free Linux shell account, but I don't know where or how. So, what I'm looking for are some links to free shell accounts (I know they're out there... somewhere), and some good old-fashioned know-how.

Any takers?

Yeah, nice list. But that doesn't help me. I've been there, and still know nothing. I tried to try out a few of them, but I know absolutely zip about it.

I hit up Wikipedia for some info... not a lot. But I might have found an account.

I still need info.

Why not create your own? Hit up a local college for a cheap $50 P2 or P3, pop a copy of Debian on it (not Ubuntu - you won't need the GUI it installs by default), apt-get install ssh telnet and open the proper ports?

That would probably be the best way to learn IMHO.

No mun, no fun, mi compadre.

I do have an old p2 PackardHell around here somewhere... but it wouldn't do me any good. It can only connect via USB, and I don't have an adapter. I hooked it up straight to my DSL modem once just to see if it would work. I was surprised that it did.

Let's just call this an experiment of sorts. I mainly need the shell as a proxy, but it is a rather specific task.

The purpose of a shell is to give you access to a Linux box.Start reading about Linux,or like macdude425 said install a Linux distro on some old pc,and you'll find out everything you want about shells.

Maybe I haven't made myself clear. The shell account is to be used as a proxy. If I just wanted to learn about Linux (which I am, slowly), I've got live CDs to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom