Linux shall reighn almighty of all coolness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hardware believe or not will probably be what changes things, multi core processors are coming, already supported by linux, not by windows, windows is JUST releasing a 64 bit OS well after the linux kernel for 64 bit was already around, the switch to multi core means eitehr some ugly patching or a complete rework of windows and its philosophy, linux can make the switch in just a week or two I believe,it does multiprocessor now, unless the instruction sets for the new CPU cores changes too, even with a big change like that, linux runs on anything now including macware, another architecture is no big deal.

I agree with Horndude.

I have used Linux on the Server side and for programing for several years. When I was first introduced to Linux it was not for the faint at heart. It was not a user friendly desktop OS.

Linux has progressed over the years and some distros are targeting the desktop user, which has always been Windows strong hold. The more user friendly Linux becomes, the more grandma's and housewives will start using it.

Microsoft acknowledges Linux as one of its biggest threats. I don't think Microsoft will ever go away but Linux and Open Source is and will be a major player.

The biggest mistake you people make is that other people out there are intelligent rational people.

People in work places don't want to use linux there, even with the cost savings there are tobe made, because they use windows at home.

People don't want to use windows at home because a) their office uses office 2000 and you can't use office 2000 at home on linux or b) they (or thier kids) play a lot of games, most of which are incompatible with linux or c) they are too confused how do anything in linux, even with the various GUIs out there, the terminology and interface are strange.

Until those can be satified it will be difficult to switch your average computer users over to linux

Re: Linux shall reign almighty of all coolness...

geffin said:
Thanks microsoft, for your attempts to force yourselves into peoples computing lives, just to run an OS. If they keep trying this, It will increase the open source community greatly! Before you know it, everyone will be on linux platforms, companies will only write open source software, and microsoft will only be on corporate servers, haha lets all laugh at Bill Gates:p

ROFL!!!

I volunteer all of my spare time programming open source...

Because Linux is becoming more and more popular, more corporations will begin to make drivers for Linux, and more corporations will begin to make software for Linux, so more people will begin to USE Linux.

Its also true that just because M$ monopolizes the OS market, they think they can put anything in their software... I've seen it done.

The time of Microsoft is ending.
The time of Linux has just begun.

"The biggest mistake you people make is that other people out there are intelligent rational people."

That makes me feel like an underling.

I meant no offense it's just that your average computer user is dumb or at the very least lazy. They don't want to compile their apps before using them, they don't want to configure their installs past which directory to put it in, they want options but no more than 5, they happy little guis that have pretty little icons, they don't want to have to learn more than one office suite or operating system (what they have at work they will most likely want at home and vice versa.) And most of all they (or thier kids) want games.

I'm not saying Linux and the OSC are not making great headway into these problems, but the two major ones I'm seeing is the game and the work/home relationship. I have no bright ideas on how to solve them (aside from some blanket statments that sound nice but don't really solve anything.) I hope some one comes up with the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom