Linux router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetman2000

Baseband Member
Right, i recently installled linux on my computer. The wireless internet card in it wont work with linux as there are no drivers. Is it possible for me to have a seperate router upstairs that will connect to the internet through the router downstairs, i would then plug a fast ethernet cable into the upstairs router and into my computer. Will this work?

Any help is welcome!

Yes it's possible.

First you would use a Crossover cable, not a regular Cat5. Next connect ONLY your computer to the new router and disable DHCP otherwise it'll cause big problems. Then connect the crossover cable from a LAN port on the router downstaires to a LAN port on the router upstaires.

I dont think you get me, if i could train cables around the house i would just run a long ethernet cable up the stairs and connect it like that.

Sorry...am i missing something?

ya, your answer isnt matching your original post

now, which router are you planing to connect the linux box to?

does the linux box have an ethernet card?

why would you need a second router anyway?

you do know this can be done with either a direct connection or thru a switch or hub?

No you really do not understand.
My dad wants the main router downstairs.
I want the internet on my LINUX computer upstairs.
I can not have a wireless card as there are no drivers for them.
I would trail a ethernet cable up the stairs but i am not allowed.
The only way i could invisage getting the internet on my LINUX computer is if i buy a second router out it in my room, configure it to connect to the internet through the router downstairs and have a ethernet cable running from the SECOND router upstairs into my LINEX computer.

Okay, what? You're going to have a cable run from router0 to router1, and then have a cable from router1 to your Linux box? Eliminate router1 and run the cable to your computer.

What is the exact make and model of your wireless internet card?

I think he saying he wants to bridge two wireless router together

ISP==Wired===routerA~~~~~~~wireless signal~~~~~~routerB==Wired===Linux box

LOL

Why don't you just go with EoP, Ethernet over Power.

Saves you a lot of frustration and it's easier.

What do you think of that think I liked to, Law? I've never used one before, seems like it'd be pretty useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom