Which Linux is right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
After suffering through Windows for many years, I have decided to go to Linux (soon). However, I know almost nothing about linux. Right now I'm running Windows ME, so almost anything would be an improvement.

My Computer Specs:
Pentium 3 @ 866 mhz.
40 gig. master + 6.5 gig. slave HDD
256 mb. PC100 SDRAM
11 meg. onboard videocard.

What kind of Linux would run best on this computer? I already have the whole 14-disc set of Debian Linux from an earlier install attempt, but can easily burn another set.

Also, my main 40gig HDD is partitioned into a thirty and a ten gig partition. Is there a way to just format the thirty gigs for linux? If I can do this, would I still be able to access the files on the other partition and HDD?

Finally, what useful apps would you recommend for Linux? I probably will get and install Cedega or an equivelent to run some of my favorite Windows games.

Thanks for your help.

You could always take the Linux Distribtution Quiz. It asks you questions about your knowledge of Linux, and also what type of computer you're planning on installing Linux on, and anything you requireto be pre-installed (such as built-in wi-fi support).

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Thanks hilowe, I didn't realize there was an online quiz about that. I took it, and the first result was Ubuntu (with Kubunto as second and Mandriva as third). I think I'll try out Ubuntu and see how well it works.

Thanks for your help!

I started using Slackware 10.2 when I was relativley new to Linux, now it's the only thing on my computer. I love it, it's probably one of the most stable and professional versions of Linux out there.

The only thing, you have to know the CLi a bit to get around...unlike Mandriva and SuSE Linux's.

Also, SuSE 10.0 I have heard good things about (it's a VERY easy to use distro) even though I have had my share of problems with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom