Linux rig? need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i was jsut going to try that.. but i dont plan on being great at it...i was just going to give it a try see how i like it bc im looking for a career choice and i wanted to see what 3d modeling is allll about... :D but i didnt think it was going to be easy.... so your saying... big stuff ... alot of cpu power needed... gotcha.... :p

while we are on blender.. do they have any books out on blender? is like very simalar to other 3d modeling software.. i go to the bookstore alot and i have a few giftcards.. wondering if they would have any books there? thanks TyYk

dunno, Ive always used the various tutorials and help in the program itself

there's alot to learn, plus you will probably find yourself making 3D objects for scenes using other apps instead, it really isnt all that great at 3D design, its better at animation/rendering really, good control over object positions and lighting and dynamics of objects colliding, plus you use scripts to move things around for frame by frame animation

if you wanna see what it can do, google for or see this:

http://orange.blender.org/

its a short film using blender mostly, its all 100% opensource including the scripts and techniques they used

i saw an article in one of the linux mags about that.. going to dl it watch it.. what other open source apps are ther for 3d modeling? liek you say you use? or you use bought ones

I use freeware only

ac3d for linux

gmax for windows as of late, been making airplanes for ms fs2004

none of them are really easy to use, takes awhile to learn the terms and techniques they use, they are all different, alot of times you can make an object many different ways, gmax is good cause its boolean operations work well and you can export the file as something else

it gets quite complicated, and takes a long time to learn and see your results, rendering big scenes takes lots of horsepower, they used a render farm for elephants dream

for a screen sized scene about 20 minutes long with maybe 10-15 objects moving around and a complicated background it takes my 5 networked machines sometimes about 2-3 days to render it, and thats just a file full of numbered pics, then I have to multiplex them into a movie with sound which takes a few minutes too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom