Linux rig? need suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerodayATK

Daemon Poster
heya! running ubuntu on my old 98 amd k6 it works but im looking to build a rig for messing wiht ubuntu... i was planing on using it for all sorts of musicy stuff and maybe blender i was thinking about just getting a 3200 or a p4.... would that be 2 slow? i know i will atleast be getting one gig of mem... and i might use my old 9550se for video.... would blender run on this? thanks, TYyK

That PC is also capable of running XP. ;)

Anything you can buy new will run it, but keep with the minimum of 512 RAM.

Just make sure you don't get brand new chipsets like the nForce 5 or 6 series. While they may work, the nForce 4 series are rock solid compatible. Also, don't get an ATi card.

talldude123 said:
Ubuntu linux runs on basically anything.

A Celeron with 512MB of memory would run Linux.

ha! yeah i know.. i have ubuntu running on a K6 with 192 ram... :D ...

Just post what you plan on using, and we'll go from there. Most likely, everything you post will work fine.

alrighty.. looking around ..... 7300gt? work under linux? how would i go about installing drivers for it?

you'd download the kernel module script direct from nvidia and run it as root

you wont be playing many games in linux, chances are you wont need that kind of graphics horsepower, and blender requires lots of CPU cycles

ooo ok .. so for blender... dont worry about the graphics power? more cpu ! kk! so tone it down to like a 6600? and get a better cpu?

I use several machines when rendering blender scenes, it can take days to render anything very big and complicated. It can be done without a graphics card at all, it isnt a graphics process, its all computational. The actual scene design is graphic, but even that can be done with a decent framebuffer.

you can run blender in windows, and I suggest you give that a try first, it isnt the easiest piece of software to learn or use well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom