Linux really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ ohh ya, win 7 is a good gaming os. the thing i dont like about linux is it's command line based. that's about the only thing i dont like.

Not entirely command line based, though. Some things are quicker and easier from the command line but not all. The various GUI interfaces by the big names (Ubuntu, Fedora for example) are improving. Just wanted to point that out, not so much to counterpoint you, Philbar, but for anyone reading this that doesn't have experience with Linux. They might think that it is steeped in the command line. Well it is in part, but not entirely.

ya, i was not trying to bash linux or anything ;) i was just pointing out how lazy i was. cause i dont like having to do commands and stuff to install drivers.

Some people love the Terminal (I am one of them) but I also love KDE (gnome sucks) various applications are easier to manage via the terminal but some things are also easyer to work with when your in a GUI it's a matter of balance and finding where you are comfortable.

^ ohh ya, win 7 is a good gaming os. the thing i dont like about linux is it's command line based. that's about the only thing i dont like.

I don't use the command line in Linux much more than I do in XP/Vista. Often times if I use the command line in Ubuntu, it's due to preference since you can typically do things faster if you know your way around the terminal.

I also love KDE (gnome sucks)

Saxon :( :( -1

Im thinking about dual booting Windows 7/Fedora on my laptop just for an expirimental purpose. After all it is my extra computer and I wouldn't care if I couldn't run a certain thing on it.

Im thinking about dual booting Windows 7/Fedora on my laptop just for an expirimental purpose. After all it is my extra computer and I wouldn't care if I couldn't run a certain thing on it.

That's kind of what I do, man, except I do this on my main computer. I use Vista for learning purposes + gaming and Ubuntu for everything else.

Fedora is a good solid distro, however I found their forums to be lacking (several days to get a response). Due to that I chose Ubuntu, but I later became a Debian fan anyway which worked out nicely, since Fedora is Red Hat based (RPM).

But at the core, Linux is Linux and they all *typically* work in the same way.

Maybe with Command Shell but with the new PowerShell, all that is changing. The new PowerShell is almost like the Terminal in *NIX now. ;) By default in Win7. At least in the Ultimate versions i tested...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom