Linux really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moshkid213

Baseband Member
I was going to run Ubuntu on my P-7811 FX laptop but I couldn't get the repositorys working right. So I went back to my Vista install.

When everything works good is it a good all-time OS?

It all depends on the person. When i used Ubuntu i had my issues with it, but then again i was coming off of many years in Windows and never using Linux. So i had my learning curve to go through.

But only the person who uses the PC can give that assessment. As we are not you and saying what our opinion is in just that, a opinion. We can debate the pros and cons of which OS is better until time runs out. There is never going to be a answer that suits everyone. We all have our own needs, wants and everyone has a different feeling about which is the better OS.

I would see if the people here or at the Ubuntu Forums can help you get it up and running to see if you like it as a alternative.

What errors with the repositories were you getting? I've never had an issue with the Ubuntu repos, so I can't recall any errors that were common to come across. Can you give us an idea so we can crack down a bit more and give you a better idea?

As Mak said, it really depends on who you ask and what your intentions are with a computer. If you ask me, I'd say absolutely **** yeah. I've been running Ubuntu for the last 4 years and I absolutely love it. It's free, has a ton of applications, great forum to get help on, and a ton of stuff you can do, from every day simple tasks to it acting as a full blown server.

But at the end of the day, you have to use what works. As I type this, I'm on my XP Pro laptop. Are you planning on gaming? Are you considering a dual boot setup? Do you run programs that are exclusive to Windows that you cannot part with? All of these are questions you need to answer. I personally dual boot Vista (primarily for gaming) and Ubuntu, where I do most of my computing.

There is no right or wrong answer in terms of whether or not Windows/Linux is better than the other.

There is, however, a right answer as to what is best for -you-. Only -you- can answer that one. The most we can do is simply offer ideas and advice. :)

not to thread jack, but are they any good gaming distros of linux?

gaming... distros?

A distro is a distribution of Linux... think of it like a separate flavor, however it's still Linux at the core.

If a game is supported by Linux, it can be installed on Linux. Period. There's no such thing as a "gaming distro."

There are some games that are supported natively by Linux. For many others, you can try out WINE to try and emulate the games within Linux.

My luck with it has been mixed. As a result, I use Vista to do my gaming. My computer is set up as dual boot primarily for that purpose, however I like having Vista around for the sake of learning purposes since my job revolves around Windows.

gaming... distros?

A distro is a distribution of Linux... think of it like a separate flavor, however it's still Linux at the core.

If a game is supported by Linux, it can be installed on Linux. Period. There's no such thing as a "gaming distro."

There are some games that are supported natively by Linux. For many others, you can try out WINE to try and emulate the games within Linux.

My luck with it has been mixed. As a result, I use Vista to do my gaming. My computer is set up as dual boot primarily for that purpose, however I like having Vista around for the sake of learning purposes since my job revolves around Windows.

ok, thanks, just wondering if there was a "specialized" distro (distribution) that was somehow better for gaming.

not to thread jack, but are they any good gaming distros of linux?

Somewhat off topic, but Windows 7 is Optimized for Gaming, or at least I read that some place :D

I may give Linux a try after Win 7 comes out. I'm planning on getting a SSD for Win 7 so that will leave me with another spare drive. For some reason, whenever I hear Linux, I always think back to the days of Dos. I know it's not that bad, anymore, but I've appreciated Microsoft for a long time. Windows 95 allowed me to play a game the day I bought it, not 2 days later when I figured out the correct autoexec.bat file :D

^ ohh ya, win 7 is a good gaming os. the thing i dont like about linux is it's command line based. that's about the only thing i dont like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom