Linux OS for server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exchange is not a server OS, it´s an application. There is, arguably some would say, nothing open source that really replicate all the functionality in Exchange and Outlook to the degree that it makes them viable options for all companies.

As for servers, most Linux distros are very good as servers, but Debian, Slackware and the commercial version of Red Hat servers and SuSE are probably your best bet there.

i read somewhere that like 70% of all web servers use linux of some kind. I would have to say that SuSE or OpenSUSE is probably the best one that i have tried, although red hat is quite popular server o/s.

i also used pclinuxos .93 bigdaddy and it is a good server, but almost every distro has the ability to set it to a server.

i read somewhere that like 70% of all web servers use linux of some kind. I would have to say that SuSE or OpenSUSE is probably the best one that i have tried, although red hat is quite popular server o/s.

i also used pclinuxos .93 bigdaddy and it is a good server, but almost every distro has the ability to set it to a server.

IIRC, that survey showed that 70% of all webservers run Apache, which runs on more than just Linux.

Exchange is not a server OS, it´s an application. There is, arguably some would say, nothing open source that really replicate all the functionality in Exchange and Outlook to the degree that it makes them viable options for all companies.

As for servers, most Linux distros are very good as servers, but Debian, Slackware and the commercial version of Red Hat servers and SuSE are probably your best bet there.

well that is true also...can u comment on the ubuntu server? what i know is that it has some similar function as exchange and it is an open source program now..

OK, Ubuntu = operating system, Exchange = mail system. Now that that's clear (I hope)...

AFAIK Ubuntu Server doesn't come with a GUI by default. So you'll have to deal without it or install it after the fact.

By the way, whoever said SUSE is good for servers should see my dad's machine with SUSE installed on it - then I think you'll change your mind.

OK, Ubuntu = operating system, Exchange = mail system. Now that that's clear (I hope)...

AFAIK Ubuntu Server doesn't come with a GUI by default. So you'll have to deal without it or install it after the fact.

By the way, whoever said SUSE is good for servers should see my dad's machine with SUSE installed on it - then I think you'll change your mind.

Your dad has SUSE Linux Enterprise Server? I know the regular SUSE distro is not always up to par, but all I´ve heard about the LES are good things. Also, I mentioned SUSE and Red Hat because their server solution support programs will be more like Microsoft´s and they are backed by bigger Linux commercial vendors such as Novell and Red Hat.

can i know where can i download the GUI installer? i really not used to the command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom