Linux OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
slackware with like 7 browsers, prettymuch ALL the GUI's you can run on linux, plus prettymuch any other major piece of software you can find precompiled for it comes in at about 4GB

just the "install everything" option will end up at about 3.2GB or so for slackware 11.0

Okay, well, you get the idea. The point I was trying to get across is that the size of Linux distributions vary profoundly.

I know this movie is super fake... But in the movie "Hackers" They had some shiaza computers compared to what we have now, they were using linux and I think their computers were going faster than mine!!!
Anyways, my question is.... Does linux run any faster than windows or was that just another fake image that the movie presented?

It can run faster than Windows, really depends. if you install a whole bunch of optional programs that you don't need than the computer will run slow however if you keep the setup simple just do the defult install and maybe add a few programs here and there then you will be fine.

It also depends alot on the distro you choose, although you can strip any distro you want down to size there are "minimalistic distros" out there that suit older hardware.

one of the Major advantages of Linux is that you can run Linux on almost any POS system you like.

Jake

jakec said:
It can run faster than Windows, really depends. if you install a whole bunch of optional programs that you don't need than the computer will run slow however if you keep the setup simple just do the defult install and maybe add a few programs here and there then you will be fine.

It also depends alot on the distro you choose, although you can strip any distro you want down to size there are "minimalistic distros" out there that suit older hardware.

one of the Major advantages of Linux is that you can run Linux on almost any POS system you like.

Jake

Well isn't linux a lot smaller of a program than Windows even with a bunch of programs? I would think you would be able to tweak linux out a bit since it is open source? Like Firefox VS IE... IDK I guess I'm going to have to put on my computer to find out.

I love the fact you can put it on any POS! I am gonna try putting it on my 8 year old computer and maybe this one that I'm using now. Thanks for giving for the info.

linux can be anything from about 1mb to several gigabytes

linux is nothing more than a kernel which has all the traits and standards of unix combined with the gnu/gpl versions of the development software that unix has

after that, its all user software

windows can be trimmed down to around 85mb or so for XP, you can as low as 40mb or so with win98 and still have a GUI

the big difference here is, windows is precompiled and you have almost zero options, with linux you can whatever you want, including taking an existing linux install and creating your own using the tools that come with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom