Linux OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike314

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of building a PC and I was thinking of using linux for the OS, Fedora Project. But i'm new to linux.

Got some questions:

1. Linux is free right? Why arent more people using since its free

2. If i just get a blank HD and install linux on boot, then it will be my primary
and only OS

3. Is it possible to use windows media player, Real player, and Quicktime on Linux?

4. Is the threat from virus' and spyware higher since linux is open source? or is it lower?

thanks

mike314 said:
1. Linux is free right? Why arent more people using since its free

Because Microsoft has a monopoly.

mike314 said:
2. If i just get a blank HD and install linux on boot, then it will be my primary
and only OS

No, you can dual boot.

mike314 said:
3. Is it possible to use windows media player, Real player, and Quicktime on Linux?

No, but the codecs are available for playing those media types. Real player has a player for Linux, but it's not that great.

mike314 said:
4. Is the threat from virus' and spyware higher since linux is open source? or is it lower?

thanks

There are no viruses for Linux, you don't have to worry about any of that spyware/trojans/etc.

1) For all intents and purposes it is free. Why more people don't use it is the subject of many debates. Once you get into it I'm sure you'll see why for yourself.

2) Yes? Was that a question?

3) WMP: no. Real Player: I think there is a linux version. Quicktime: don't think so. There are media players that play most (all?) media files you will run into. Xine, Totem, etc. Look around, there are plenty of alternatives.

4) There is virtually no threat of virus due to the way the kernel is structured. Code cannot be executed with root (administrative) rights unless you speifically run it and type in the root password when prompted. You could also say that since the source code is available to everyone, there are more eyes looking at it and therefore more people to make sure there are no major vulnerabilities.

Spyware is along the same lines. It cannot execute at a runlevel necessary to cause damage without specifically supplying it root credentials.

As always, if my info is incorrect please be nice with the beatings.

mBernhardt said:
1) For all intents and purposes it is free. Why more people don't use it is the subject of many debates. Once you get into it I'm sure you'll see why for yourself.

Because stupid people buy computers, and it comes with Windows on it, and they don't know any better, so that feeds Microsoft's monopoly, and because of the fact that "most people use Windows" lots of software developers only write software for Windows, and stupid people don't realize that their are free alternatives for everything but games?

Got it.

mBernhardt said:
2) Yes? Was that a question?

No, you can dual boot.

Done.

about how much space will a linux OS take??? Not sure what kind of drive to get, wheter to get a 36.7GB WD 10,000K RPM drive or to get a 40 or 60GB 7200RPM HD

I ask cause in the windows world, the OS usually eats up around 10GB

again thanks

mike314 said:
about how much space will a linux OS take??? Not sure what kind of drive to get, wheter to get a 36.7GB WD 10,000K RPM drive or to get a 40 or 60GB 7200RPM HD

I ask cause in the windows world, the OS usually eats up around 10GB

again thanks

Linux distros can be as small as a floppy disk, or as big as 120GB. Remember, Linux is just the kernel. It's the extra software that it comes with that takes up lots of space, but usually, mainstream distros take up like 4-6GB.

The General said:
Because stupid people buy computers, and it comes with Windows on it, and they don't know any better, so that feeds Microsoft's monopoly, and because of the fact that "most people use Windows" lots of software developers only write software for Windows, and stupid people don't realize that their are free alternatives for everything but games?

a. ...and of course you want to be able to play those games...even if they weren't "smart enough" to write it for nix, or work properly with wine etc.
b. It's what people are use to...people fear change...:p But 'tis changing as they make more user-friendly versions (or mirroring XP in many aspects) that it'll eventually happen... I always thought that Vista would be their last successful release...time shall tell.

I've used Debian/Slackware off and on, but never for the majority of my computing time - but now at work and school I'm running on Unix ... so I'm starting to switch over at home. I just have a few problems, the main being Trillian! :cool: Although hopefully they'll have a nix version for their next release...

...and of course games. Granted many work with the emulators, but I want my classics to run as well...which is why XP is staying on...

Definitely a worthy learning experience to say the least! Enjoy your venture into the new world...:D

Yeah, games really are the only thing that kept me having a copy of Windows around (I don't fear change ;)), but now I just have a console to play my games on. :)

Problem solved. :p

I dunno, if you install everything in the Debian repository I'm sure it's something ridiculous like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom