Linux not user friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
I installed SUSE 10.0 yesterday.
I tried to install Nvidia gfx drivers. But you have to get out of X. Took me 10 minutes to figure out how to get out of X. I used this command to install but got tons of errors. It tried to download some kernel but failed.

I also tried to install Enlightenment, downloaded this file. If u click it it only opens it in some kind of Winzip.
Don't know what to do. Also read something about limb modules or something. What are they?

Do any user friendly distros exist? This is pissing me off.

Linux is completely different world than Windows. It will be overwhelming at first, but once you get used to it, you will be able to get around better and feel much more comfortable with it.

User friendly as in incrediby limited like windows? NO

more choices and freedom also means more control and more learning needed to understand how to do stuff

how much time did you spend at Suse's website?

Not much, I thought I could figure it out myself. Haven't really spent enough time on Linux yet due to work.
Maybe I will give it another try later.
Anybody know how to install Enlightenment on SUSE? I can't find anything useful on Google.

One thing about SuSE is that you can install most anything from YaST online updates, and you can use RPM's to do graphical installs.

However, at best this feature is very buggy.

Here is a simple guide to install the drivers via the CLI (command line interface)...

Download the drivers and let them sit on the Desktop. Find the path to the drivers (usually right click as you would in Windows), then write that down.

Log out and go into the CLI, type : "sh -i [directory of the drivers]"

This should get you into a primitive graphical install, when it's done you will probably have to reconfigure x11.

If you have already done all of that, that's just SuSE being SuSE and you might want to try installing them through YaST.

TheMajor, I think you should check out ubuntu if you want easy. It is powerful, easy, and has a great forum.

On ubuntu, installing nvidia drivers is two commands:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable
There, you have your nvidia drivers.

"It's an Umbuntu out there..."

It would be better if you read a step-by-step toutorial before you got out of X. LOL

Getting out of X is like stepping into the Twilight zone. :confused: :cool:

Maybe I'll check out Ubuntu when I have time. Wich desktop environment(s) come with Ubunto? What about Gentoo?

TheMajor said:
Maybe I'll check out Ubuntu when I have time. Wich desktop environment(s) come with Ubunto? What about Gentoo?

Gentoo is very difficult to use. Ubuntu comes with gnome and Kubuntu comes with KDE.

Same OS, different Desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom