Linux Newbie Needing Advice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toni.pt

Baseband Member
Hello ppl. this is the first time i write to the foruns because i need some advices concerning linux.

The prob is that i wanna make a server with my old computer and as i know linux is much much better than windows. but i'm like n00bish to all this linux thing (i know a bit of c++, vb, little html, and have used DOS for about 6 years, so im used to the cmd line, but i've never tried linux ^^):

1. Which is the best linux for webserving, considering my sittuation?
2. Is there any way to emulate Windows games?
3. Also, if I choose SuSE, is there a big difference between the personal and the pro? How much does the pro cost?

thanks in advance, Toni :D

suse pro costs $90. you could use unix thats just the command line for linux.

can you post the specs of your computer please.

Your computer is plenty powerful, get slackware and install the A,N,L parts plus apache,proftpd, and anything else you need for your server.

people, people, SuSE Pro is free from suse.com. it's just not available as an iso but they offer an FTP install. here's the best way to do it:

1. Download SuSE Personal iso and burn it on CD.
2. Install SuSE Personal.
3. Once it's installed, go on YOU (YaST Online Update) otpions and add a SuSE FTP server. There's a list available at suse.com.
4. Then using YaST, select all the packages that you need as a server that are available only on through FTP but are part of SuSE Pro.

or you could do a direct FTP install. There's instructions on their website. But if you have a slow connection, it'll take a while because we're talking about 2 GB of stuff. Your choice, but nevertheless it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom