linux newb question

Status
Not open for further replies.

am

Solid State Member
Ok, ive started using knoppix and I think linux is pretty cool. What are your guy's thoughts on what is the next distro i should go to. I have a copy of mandrake, but i want something that will be easy to use. I have no clue on if mandrake is hard to use or not. Opinions would be appreciated.

go ahead and use mandrake, but knoppix is perfectly fine to learn on, it has some bugs sometimes, but its perfectly usable, having linux installed on a hard drive makes things slightly easier though

then start learning about linux, get to know what BASH is and how to use it, and how to use the command line effectively

learn the ins and outs of the linux file structure/system, you will need to know where stuff is and why its there, it isnt windows

learn about networking

try all the GUI's out, find one you like

learn what programs you like and will use often that replace what you used in windows if you came from there(most people have), then setup a linux system to your liking.Its better to learn and make some mistakes before you jump in head first and setup a system, that way you dont get frustrated and have to do it over when you break something and dont know how to fix it yet :) Thats what makes knoppix pretty cool, you wont break it.

Personally I love my SuSE Linux. I've been using it for like 2 years now and its stable as a rock. Also, all the software you will ever need is on Yast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom