Linux for my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
I have an old Pentium 2 laptop. it is 400mhz has 160mb ram and has a 5 gig hard drive. what would be a good dstro for it? I want it to run well but also to have all the standard features of an OS, i know that some of the smaller distros can be limited. I have already tried Ubuntu 6.1 but the cd crashed the computer.

Does Debian have wifi support? i have a pcmcia wireless card for this computer, and it would be awesome if it would work cause they never built in an ethernet port for some reason.

You will likely have to install using a wired netcard (if you use the Debian Netinstall method, which gets 80% of the software you use from the internet), but after that, you SHOULD be able to use wireless, depending on the card. What card do you have?

Here are two of the best sites for Linux & laptops, go there and see what other users have done with your model laptop

Linux on Laptops
TuxMobil: Linux With Laptops, Notebooks, PDAs and Mobile Cell Phones

as for distros:

Kubuntu
Kubuntu - The KDE Desktop

Mandriva
Mandriva One - Mandriva Linux

PCLinuxOS .92
FTP archive directory /pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/texstar/pclinuxos/live-cd/english/preview/

This is the distro I use and recommend, Why because it works right out of the box. No need to configure Everything, everything just works. It also comes as a 1 CD install that is a live CD that you can install later if you wish.

Mephis
MEPIS | an OS for the 21st Century

if you want to try some Lighter options:

Vector Linux
VectorLinux - VectorLinux.com

DSL
DSL information

Puppy Linux
http://www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=3

Slackware
The Slackware Linux Project

BeaFanatIX
BeaFanatIX

Elive:
Where Debian meets Enlightenment

if your still unsure of the distro & need more help deciding, try these distro choosers:

http://eedok.voidofmind.com/linux/chooser.html
zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
polishlinux.org » Distro chooser
Desktop Linux At Home - Distro Selector

Jake

Thanks for all the help. I decided on using vector linux because it supports ym sound card out of the box unlike the others, which i found needed extra drivers to work.

If you have any speed problems with their default desktop (I believe it's KDE) try XFCE, IceWM, or Fluxbox. I had a laptop with even lower speeds, and those window managers ran wonderfully on it.

OK thanks for the tips. I have heard the XFCE which is the default for the version i downloaded has some issues with my hardware but IceWM works fine.

Update:

i installed Vector no my laptop, and i installed LILO but when i boot the machine up my BIOS says no operating system was found. Also the X11 package will not install for no good reason. Does this mean i wont have GUI? and if so can I set one up after the fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom