Linux mint - adding a partition to the boot volume

User 11037

Solid State Member
Hi,

I recently got a 2 TB external USB 3 hard drive, which I used to install Linux Mint 13 (Maya) on Cinnamon desktop. However, now Windows will not let me see the contents of the drive (I assume because of the format).

So, is there a way to split up the main partition (1.8 TB), into maybe a 500GB partition, with Linux mint on it, and a 1.3 TB partition, without wiping the Linux OS (I know that in Windows this is possible)?

I have tried using the Disk Utility and GParted, but all of the options for partitioning were grayed out.

Thanks in advance.

GParted would be the solution.

You need to resize the Linux partition so it is smaller, and gives you unallocated (gray) space in the GUI. Then you can format that unallocated space into a partition.

Would be helpful if you took a screenshot of the GParted interface with all your drives and how it's setup.

Would be helpful if you took a screenshot of the GParted interface with all your drives and how it's setup.

Oh yeah, sure, for some reason the screenshot seems to only be taking a picture of the desktop background behind the open window though... (you can tell I'm new to linux)

Back
Top Bottom