Linux Mint.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
You know Linux Mint weather it be 32 or 64 Bit Edition, whats the Glitz and glamor of this OS. I'm using Mint 64Bit and it seems pretty straight forward, their doesn't seem to be much to it, you have the Menu with in the OS, you have File settings and various Control Panel Options.

It all seems Basic, Fresh Clean and very easy to use. I know Linux Mint is for newbies and how technical Linux can get is no ones Business.

Now my question is whats under the hood. Windows for example you have options like task manager, monitoring of Various Ports on Networks. You have an endless array of interaction and usability. What does Linux Mint boast under the hood.

Mint has all the Debian repositories at its disposal.
You've got tools like htop for process monitoring, nmap for network mapping, nmon for network monitoring, iotop for disk I/O monitoring, iftop for more network monitoring (I like this one), "tail -f" for logfile monitoring (or rather... basically all it does is read a file as it's being edited. It will display new lines added to a file, so for log monitoring it's great)

And the Linux crown (for me at least) is "apt-get". Windows has nothing like this (built in anyway) and it's my most used app, second to vim probably :tongue:

I don't really use Linux with a gui these days... and if I do 99% of the time I revert to CLI apps simply because they're what I'm used to.

Mint has all the Debian repositories at its disposal.
You've got tools like htop for process monitoring, nmap for network mapping, nmon for network monitoring, iotop for disk I/O monitoring, iftop for more network monitoring (I like this one), "tail -f" for logfile monitoring (or rather... basically all it does is read a file as it's being edited. It will display new lines added to a file, so for log monitoring it's great)

And the Linux crown (for me at least) is "apt-get". Windows has nothing like this (built in anyway) and it's my most used app, second to vim probably :tongue:

I don't really use Linux with a gui these days... and if I do 99% of the time I revert to CLI apps simply because they're what I'm used to.

I've never checked the full repositories on the Linux System I'm using, I've never had a good look threw so I'm unsure how it would work hands on.

I'll have to have a look.

Back
Top Bottom