Linux Mint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakh

Baseband Member
Is it really as good as the reviews say it is? Does anybody on here use it? If so, would you recommend it to a newb linux user? Thanks.

That would be the first distro I recommend for a new user. It comes installed with all of the video and audio codecs you need right at install. It's also very user friendly.

Good luck! I hope everything works out! Mint has to be one of the best looking distros out there - that team definitely put a lot of work into the graphics. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Try out all three flavors to see which one suits you best though - KDE, GNOME and XFCE. I'm a GNOME guy myself ;) To try each desktop environment, download the DE packages from the package manager, then logout. At the login screen click 'Sessions' and choose the recently installed DE.

Yeah... I won't lie... Gnome is where my happy place is. I know some people who swear by KDE, but I just feel like I'm not getting the full experience without Gnome.

Mint is good stuff. I used it for a short time. I switched back to Ubuntu, though... mostly due to the fact that it's what I know and what I like.

Question, though... How can Mint come preinstalled with audio/video codecs? Isn't that... illegal? I thought that was the whole reasoning behind why Ubuntu doesn't come with them...

I guess it depends on which codecs come pre-installed. From Distrowatch: Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.

But yeah, some codecs are illegal and you have to pay for them. I think it comes with more than your "average" distro.

I agree, though, Gnome is where my heart is as well. KDE blows. :)

On that same line. There is Ubuntu Studio out there that does this as well.

Just saying. I havent tried Mint. I like my Ubuntu. In it now after a long stint in Windows. But there are plenty of Distros out there that can do what this can. Just have to know what you are looking for. I found Ubuntu Studio not that long ago myself.

I'm still failing to understand how Mint is doing this.

In order to stay legal, Ubuntu had to keep proprietary codecs out of the initial install. So, they created "medibuntu" which is extremely easy to install. The idea was for Medibuntu to be used in countries where these codecs are not illegal. Ubuntu also has paid codecs, named Fluendo, which can work just as good and are legal for US usage.

Of course, due to the sincere stupidity of it all, everybody here pretty much holds up "the bird" and gets a hold of Medibuntu, which is obtainable anywhere due to the fact this is... the internet! *gasp*

Anyway, I'm just having a hard time understanding how Mint has everything bundled together, considering the information above.

Maybe they dont distribute those codecs with the package. They are jsut able to be installed during the install phase. Just like Kubuntu you can select Firefox, Opera and several other packages to be installed during the setup but technically they are not packaged with the Distro.

PC-BSD also does this. You have the option to install the stuff during the primary setup. But you also have the right to deny them being installed. So the data is not technically distributed with the Distro as you do not have to install it and by default it is not installed. You have to select it to install it.

At least that would be my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom