Linux + Microsoft Intellimouse explorer = not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont know what to tell you, not sure what to try next

Do you have a regular mouse available(ps/2 style)? If so use it to get setup for the intellimouse I guess.

This has got to be on the top 10 list of goofy problems Ive ever seen.

ok, I've finally found the fix... I sorta twisted around with your advice and my own computer knowledge.

This is what I did..

1) login as root (as told by you)
2) tabbed my way to "my computer" (thank god my computer is on desktop)
3) press "alt + G" for the "GO" drop down menu and went to "applications"
4) select "Control pannel" -> YaST2 module -> Hardware -> Mouse
5) tabbed my way through and used arrow keys to select my mouse model and tabbed to "test" and pushed space bar for select
6) vola! Mouse moved... Press accept and problem solved.

Thanks for your help :)

cool, glad its fixed--------I really really hate distros that default to an X login, its a really dumb thing to do, problems like this come up and its a big problem

hmm... 1 problem I've found..

after the fix to this problem, I booted up linux again and... bad news... it was only a temp fix... when I booted up linux again, the very same problem happened and I had to go through the same procedures -_-"

I've gone through "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" and found out that the reason it wasn't functioning was because my mouse was directed at my PS/2 port which my mouse uses USB. However, the way that it was written looked like this:

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "Mouse[1]"
Option "AutoSoft" "on"
Option "ButtonNumber" "2"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Option "Name" "XK?XK?^P"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

How can I modify it so it's USB?
do I change ExplorerPS/2 to ExplorerUSB ? Would that work?

I'm confused now... I have no idea why even though I'm logged in a root, it won't let me go back to /etc/X11/xorg.conf anymore = / It says Permission denied. :( Linux is more troublesome than windows :confused:

Well linux requires that you do some reading before jumping in, some basic knowledge of computers and the willingness to read directions, follow directions, and be able to figure some things out on your own. Windows does too, just in a different way.

check the ownership/permissions on that file, it needs to be readable and writable by root, it should be, you can find out with ls -l /etc/X11/

whats happened here is quite common with some of the distros like Suse, they dont handle being misconfigured very well, when the routine it uses to figure out what hardware you have fail, or a user goofs and enters the wrong info, it can be somehwat difficult to fix

Yast should let you change this stuff I think, whether or not it stays that way after a reboot I dont know, it should.

horndude said:
Well linux requires that you do some reading before jumping in, some basic knowledge of computers and the willingness to read directions, follow directions, and be able to figure some things out on your own. Windows does too, just in a different way.

check the ownership/permissions on that file, it needs to be readable and writable by root, it should be, you can find out with ls -l /etc/X11/

whats happened here is quite common with some of the distros like Suse, they dont handle being misconfigured very well, when the routine it uses to figure out what hardware you have fail, or a user goofs and enters the wrong info, it can be somehwat difficult to fix

Yast should let you change this stuff I think, whether or not it stays that way after a reboot I dont know, it should.

I've checked file permissions.. it says Owner is readable, writable. I've logged in as super user (root) and still unable to access the file. I've configured my mouse at Yast but... once I restart, it changes back and I have to configure again. :confused:

Is it supposed to say Owner? I think it should be root. Once you've manually configured the mouse. Save a copy of the new xorg.conf file. Then if you are able to get into the text interface when logging in and not starting X server, move the new Xorg.conf to the location of the old Xorg.conf, overwrite it. Then see if that helps. I don't think it will restore it to the default again.

TSHF said:
You will need to check as horndude stated in your xorg.conf, what the device ise. Make sure it is the correct device. You will need to change it , it should be something like /dev/.../mice or /dev/tty0/mice you get the point.

ok here's what I've got :

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "mouse"
Identifier "Mouse[1]"
Option "AutoSoft" "on"
Option "ButtonNumber" "2"
Option "Device" "dev/mouse"
Option "Protocol" "/dev/usb/mouse0"
Option "Vendor" "Sysp"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

is this correct? or am I supposed to modify "dev mouse" part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom