Is Linux for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Ace

Beta member
I am thinking about making the switch to linux and saving a couple hundred on an OS. I use my computer for general tasks and gaming. I know I am covered on the things classified under "general computing" with programs like Open Office and Songbird etc., but what about gaming? How long does it generally take to set up a game using WINE? Also, since I am building my own computer, are there any parts I should stay away from should I choose to go down the Linux path? The other thing is, I have used Windows my entire life and never really had any problems with it. How bad will my learning curve be?

If you game, you should probably use a Windows OS. Although it is possible to game on a linux OS. You will run into lots of compatibility issues (unless there have been improvements).

If you weren't gaming it would be a crime not to use Linux

The basic structure of Linux is similar to windows, and depending on the dist you use it can get very complicated.

If you game, you should probably use a Windows OS. Although it is possible to game on a linux OS. You will run into lots of compatibility issues (unless there have been improvements).

If you weren't gaming it would be a crime not to use Linux

The basic structure of Linux is similar to windows, and depending on the dist you use it can get very complicated.

I agree with this except the last part. Linux is very different, or more appropriately, Windows is very different.

If you're planning to game on linux buy a nVidia card. ATI has very poor drivers for linux unfortunately :(

I agree with this except the last part. Linux is very different, or more appropriately, Windows is very different.

I just meant on a graphical level... how files are presented and organized. Although I wasn't being open-minded to the programming syntax and kernel level processes. I didn't think it was necessary to mention it since OP wasn't really asking about it.

Only problem I've ever had with Linux is driver support, especially my wireless broadcom network drivers and nvidia graphics drivers.
And finding the darn spot to stop opening every folder in a new window! WHY is that the default lol.

Other than that...besides learning the file system, Linux is nice...for the non-gamer.
I prefer Fedora Core with Suse in a close second.

I still don't see the rave about Ubuntu?

Haha they stopped calling it Fedora core when they reached 7. Nvidia drivers are very easy with SUSE but Broadcom have always made themselves annoying for linux. I think it was broadcom anyway, it's been ages since I have had to deal with wireless drivers thanks to my edimax 7209APG (very little money and is just so useful).

haha i call it Fedora Core!
I have 3, 4, 7 and labeled my most recent (that I installed and used) Fedora Core 10 lol. I hate name changing...

and yea...i recently booted Back Track...go figure...broadcom no recognized.

So I guess the general consensus is no. I was really looking forward to the no virus thing and the 8 second boot times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom