Linux Losing to Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Linux Losing to Windows

Any time you post a news item with a headline like “Linux is losing to Windows ” you'd better bust out your flame resistant underwear because you are going to see more flames than California.

A few years ago market share data clearly demonstrated Linux server growth outpacing Windows server growth. Today, Linux server growth has apparently slowed while Windows is picking up, according to IDC. Why? The rate of migration from Unix to Linux has slowed.

hey!! Shumway's back!! party in my Basement!!

but... ya.. most average-American's are too stupid to learn to use Linux, heck they can't use Windows Properly.. which is why there is Geek Squad or Firefly to take advantage of that..

but see its not the people's fault that they are stupid. The only way that you can beat out windows in the end is if you are far more easier to use. we need to stop insulting the user base and try to improve linux to the point where there is no question which is better.

^ thats true... i would totally switch to Linux if it was more Gamer-Oriented..

but see its not the people's fault that they are stupid. The only way that you can beat out windows in the end is if you are far more easier to use. we need to stop insulting the user base and try to improve linux to the point where there is no question which is better.

Agreed ATM linux is still not as user friendly as it should be, if linux fans (like myself) are used to command line it dosn't mean that the average user knows what command line is or how to use it they want out the box ready to use software an well supported hardware.

Also Verns idea of making linux more game oriented is a good one more people would make the switch if it was nice to game in.

The biggest gripe i have with linux isn't hardware, or games. Its ease of use. Think about ti, if you can get good OEM support, from people like Dell then the prebuilt hardware will already work, and few people play games other than solitaire and minesweeper. So working on games and hardware will only effect teenage and college guys and custom pc builders, who although represent 90% of this forum's patrons is a small part of the consumer base.

Agreed ATM linux is still not as user friendly as it should be, if linux fans (like myself) are used to command line it dosn't mean that the average user knows what command line is or how to use it they want out the box ready to use software an well supported hardware.

Also Verns idea of making linux more game oriented is a good one more people would make the switch if it was nice to game in.

As I said in my first post.

Sadly untill Linux becomes more user friendly the OEM builder won't take linux up in a big way. Money is what matters to them an Linux could make them more profitable by reducing manufacturing costs (the OS is one of the main costs in building a machine for the consumer market).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom