Linux Live download

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnkFloyd27

In Runtime
Hi there,
I am on a family computer right now but I want to try Linux. I have never really tried it out before and I want to use it on the computer that I will be building as soon as I get the money. I want to get the live version of Ubuntu. I do not want to have to install it and screw up my computer and not be able to use Windows seeing as it's not my computer. I went to the Ubuntu website and looked around but I don't want to download the wrong thing. Can somebody give me a link to the live version of Ubuntu please? I don't know if it is called the live version, I want the version that I can run on a PC without installing it. Thank you very much.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Okay, thank you for the link. Also, do I have to put it onto a CD or can I just download it and just click on the icon?

if its an iso file (it probably must be) then download it and burn it on a cd. then boot your computer from the cd and thats it!

Okay I have it downloaded. Can someone please answer my question? Can I just click on the icon and then click the START.exe? Or will it **** up my computer?

simple said:
if its an iso file (it probably must be) then download it and burn it on a cd. then boot your computer from the cd and thats it!
Yes, I know that. I tried it but for some reason I can't get anything to write onto the CD. It says that Windows ran into some kind of a problem and I can't do anything. Anyone know what to do? I'm going to see if I can find another CD.

hmm do you know how to burn an image to CD ?

Its not like burning single files. The ISO file is a hard disk copy of the CD. It needs to be written to CD as an ISO. The cd will then be hundreds of files.. This will be bootable and that is all you need to do.

What app are you using to burn the ISO to disc.

I think I may need a new CD. I am using Jukebox or something like that. I will go tomarrow to the store and get a different CD. Thank you. Also, I know that Ubuntu will run dreadfully slow running off of the CD so is there a way that I can install it and not get rid of anything on my computer? I would want to install it, use it for several hours, and then uninstall it and have Windows as the main OS again. Is that possible? Kind of like a dual boot system but only temporarily.

Or if you have a Virtual Machine application installed. But, I'm going to guess that you don't.

Burn the ISO to a CD and try it that way. Sure, it will be a little slower. But it still gives you a chance to see if you can figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom