linux live cd help

Status
Not open for further replies.

master353

Baseband Member
I have ubuntu 8.04.1 iso and I am trying to burn it to a cd. I am having problems making the cd bootable. I followed some guides but they didn't work. I tried Nero 2 times and deepburn 2 times but I didn't work. Can someone tll me how to do it that will actually work. I already wasted 4 cds. I also have imgburn, but I haven't used it.

I did that exactly as the guide said but it didn't work. I put the cd in the cd drive and select it to boot the cd on start up in the bios but it still load xp.

Hello,

Check your BIOS to make sure that you have the Optical Drive set before the hard drive. This should allow you to boot the CD up then.

Cheers,
Mak

It works on my newer computer and not on my laptop. My laptop (which is the broken computer in my other post about the corrupt system file) is old. Im just try to get some data off my laptop, thats why im doing this.

Hello,

Can you access the BIOS on the laptop to check to make sure that it is set to boot from CD first?

Cheers,
Mak

yea, I made sure. I even went to th boot menu in th bios(F12) and selected the cd. The laptop bios is outdate so there is no usb boot. The laptop reads the disk but doesn't boot from it. I can get only a floppy to boot from the laptop.

My old laptop was like this for a while, it wouldn't boot from CD, then randomly it started working fine. Try the boot device menu, a lot of laptops have a key (F9 in my case) that shows CD, HDD, network, floppy, etc that you can pick which one to boot from. If that doesn't work, you can try to find a floppy boot utility that has CD booting (had to do this for my ancient Pentium laptop that only boots from floppy, I think it was like Super Boot manager or Quick boot manager or something, but there was a program that you booted through floppy that allowed you to boot from CD afterwards.

I downloaded a file for the floppy that forces the computer to boot from the cd, (i get a menu to choose if I want to boot from the floppy, cd or hard drive). THe computer reads the cd but loads straight to the hard drive like the cd was blank. I know the cd works because it works on my other computer.

I found a tutorial for puppy linux. YOu put a floppy in the floppy drive and it loads puppy linux from a usb port. I'm going to try that.

Now the laptop doesn't even go past the bios screeen. It just stops at the bios screen. I can still press F2 and F12 but nothing happens. It just sits there.

EDIt: It doesn't freeze at the bios screen but the puppy lnux thing didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom