Linux is just freakin' awesome !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know if games that require Microsoft's .Net Framework package will run under Wine? I've been dual booting forever simply because I play 1 game that requires it. If I can get everything to run in Ubuntu, I'd be happy to switch to the dark side permanently.

I don't really know, I may try installing a more demanding game like COD4 later and I'll tell you what it goes like.

i will try out this "wine" it works on ubuntu right? the only thing i cant figure out how to do is install my video card drivers :( this is where my computer knowledge fails me :mad: if i could figure out how to install programs n stuff i would use it as a 2nd os. can you instal linux on a external hdd hooked up through USB?

First of all, YES, you can install and boot Linux (Ubuntu) from a USB hard drive. In fact, I took my internal hard drive that had all my OS'es on it, stuck it in my external enclosure, and booted from it. Windows failed to boot but Ubuntu loaded right up just as if the hard drive were still in the PC.

To install graphics card drivers, Ubuntu provides an easy-to-use automatic driver installer. Go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers and it will search for compatible drivers for your card. It works fine for ATi and nVidia cards, picked my Radeon and GeForce right up and found working drivers. Follow the prompt on screen and it should download and install drivers. You may have to restart your PC for changes to take effect (video drivers install kernel patches and stuff that has to be updated upon restart).

To install programs, you use a package manager. There are two main package managers you use with Ubuntu - Synaptic and apt-get. Synaptic is a GUI program that has an easy-to-use interface that allows you to search for and install programs as well as change repositories. Repositories are online catalogs of software maintained by the Ubuntu developers and community. When you install a program from a repository, it automatically downloads the program package and installs it on your system. If you know the name of the package you want to install, you can also use apt-get. It is a command line (terminal) application, so you'll have to open Terminal, then type:

sudo apt-get install <package name>

The command "sudo" gives you administrative privileges, and installing software requires this. Anything that changes important system files or installs things will usually require administrative privileges (and you'll have to enter your password).

So, for example, to install Wine:

sudo apt-get install wine

Hit Enter and it will ask for your password. Type it (you won't see anything come up, keep typing, it hides your password) and hit Enter. Then it will process and probably say Do you want to continue Y/N, hit Y (Yes) and it will install.

If you don't like that, open Synaptic, search for "wine" and then install it from there.

well that's where it gets complicated, this pc is not hooked up to the net. so any thing i would install would be put on to my flash drive and then put on the pc to install.

Can't you unhook your main comp an temporally use it's internet connection?

nope. no net back in my end of the house. but i'm guessing that there is a way to install programs off of a flash drive. like windows.

yes there is go to the web page of the program you want down load the right file .deb if your on a debian based OS or the .rpm if it is a redhat based OS then there should be a read me in the file telling you how to install it, especially if it is in a .tar file (very old file compresion extention dating back to tapes)

tarred gzip files are normally how you would install from source whereas .deb and .rpm are normally binary installs. tar does not compress files. It just makes multiple files, or a directory into a single file. While tarring you can choose to perform an additional compression z for gzip or Z for compress

oldskool if you try it on a laptop an have a problem getting the wifi drivers to work with ndiswrapper take a shot with the madwifi drivers in fact I would say sod ndiswrapperjust use madwifi when it comes to wireless drivers.

My wife is commander of the lappy, whereas I am Lord Of The Linux Machine in my cave. :p When I know more about Linux I will show her some stuff, she seems interested but knows nada about Linux. I am obviously very noob, but dedicated to learning more Linux.

I am especially happy with Ubuntu, because I Frankensteined this computer (formerly an XP, I completely X-ed XP and forsook it to permanently install Ubuntu. I figured it is the only way I will make myself learn. I will remember that tip, though, Saxon, if I do need to use those drivers for the laptop providing it goes Linux as well. (Not likely, my wife is not a techie, she likes XP just fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom