Linux is just freakin' awesome !

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while ago I downloaded + burned the live CD of ReactOS. It ran, but it didn't feel very well built. I know they're mainly working on getting kernel compatibility, but the interface felt really weak and lacked features.

Since then, I've been trying new releases with the QEMU virtual machine packages they release. It looks like it's getting better but nowhere near even Windows 95 in terms of interface yet (kernel is probably already well beyond Win95 though). It looks quite impressive for an open-source effort at making a Windows-compatible OS but isn't ready for end-user stuff (Linux definitely is!).

i will try out this "wine" it works on ubuntu right? the only thing i cant figure out how to do is install my video card drivers :( this is where my computer knowledge fails me :mad: if i could figure out how to install programs n stuff i would use it as a 2nd os. can you instal linux on a external hdd hooked up through USB?

Thanks for the responses ! And I am enjoying this discussion and learning a lot. To Saxon, thanks. I am really enjoying Ubuntu !

i will try out this "wine" it works on ubuntu right?

Yeah just search Wine in the Add/Remove programs. It's really good, I've successfully installed xfire however for some reason people's names show up as squares however it's still by all means usabale. I have also installed BF2 which runs fine, IMO it's the best piece of software around for Ubuntu.

the only thing i cant figure out how to do is install my video card drivers :( this is where my computer knowledge fails me :mad: if i could figure out how to install programs n stuff i would use it as a 2nd os. can you instal linux on a external hdd hooked up through USB?

Yes you can use wine on ubuntu games run a tad slow though but thats by the by.
You need to use an ndiswrapper to install windows drivers on linux. I imagine you can the only thing I have installed on an external hdd and run was xp though and that was by accident lost a ton of coursework doing that :(

oldskool if you try it on a laptop an have a problem getting the wifi drivers to work with ndiswrapper take a shot with the madwifi drivers in fact I would say sod ndiswrapperjust use madwifi when it comes to wireless drivers.

You can it's possible with a OS compatibility layer like wine.

for some casual gamers and of specific games, wine,xrossover,cedega are ok. but with everyting from graphical glitches or complex routines just to get one to run, i definitly wouldnt recommend it to those who like to game much or run newer games, dual booting is likely best option.
Cedega's site makes a nice games list, just too bad you have to be a full time forum reading mofo to learn of some oddball workaround to get some game to work correctly.

windows has enough problem running crappy coded, DRM'ed games as it is, nothing worse than not knowing if an issue is cause of Wine compatability or an issue with the game itself.
hopefully some day, Virtualization of windows will run DX9/10 properlly and completely.

Yeah just search Wine in the Add/Remove programs. It's really good, I've successfully installed xfire however for some reason people's names show up as squares however it's still by all means usabale. I have also installed BF2 which runs fine, IMO it's the best piece of software around for Ubuntu.

Do you know if games that require Microsoft's .Net Framework package will run under Wine? I've been dual booting forever simply because I play 1 game that requires it. If I can get everything to run in Ubuntu, I'd be happy to switch to the dark side permanently.

Surely you mean light side?

I think there is a FOOS version of the .net framework or a way to run it in liunx I can rember digging around on the Ubuntu forums back in early 07 an saw a few posts about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom