LINUX and it's components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinyman

Solid State Member
Just installed SuSe 9.1 on my little toy Celeron for S & Gs.I've always wanted to explore the legendary functionality of LINUX.I am having trouble navigating though having done this somewhat cold turkey.Where is the device manager in SuSE?I'm also going to try to network the LINUX box up to a d-link switch that will also serve a Windows XP box.Any special configuration tips?Wouldn't mind too much if somebody gave me a good online resource for new LINUX users.
Thanks all.

only cause ive answered this about a bazillion times im not listing a whole bunch of sites,sorry, forum does have a search feature and I hate SuSe

start here:

http://www.novell.com/linux/suse/index.html

device manager????never used one, it isnt needed, this is linux,not windows, but I think Suse has something called yast,try that

a little research before you leap is wise isnt it?

http://www.tldp.org

So, what do you have aginst SuSe linux? I'm downloading it to see what Yast is like. My company is a novell shop so I was going to look into suse. Is this a waste of time?

Actually NIN,that's the whole reason I was making the switch.I and my partner own a business in PCs and networking and the techs that I've talked to said that LINUX was just about the most versatile and solid OS out there.I'm sure some people might not like it,but I've been talking to ALOT of people (and also from a little personal experience) and we all agree that LINUX has some very fine selling points.No mistake....keep LINUXing.

I love linux,dont get me wrong, Im just not impressed with SuSe personal or SuSe in general really.Ive been a linux user for a LONG time.But I tell you what, Ive seen way too many people jump right in, no research,no checking around, they download SuSe or fedora core or whatever, and first thing they find out is they end up downloading and having to install a whole bunch of software right from the start because frankly, SuSe personal doesnt come with a whole lot.Im not impressed with their website either.My usual recommendation is stick with one of the big 4 distro's, and make a very serious effort to learn what your doing, many of these distro's like SuSe rely on GUI's and scripts for hardware configuration which is fine, but they dont have the range that windows does as far as hardware detection.This usually leads to frustration by the user, then even more frustration when they start asking questions for solutions and someone like me starts spewing command line answers at them, and the reason I do that is, it works, it works in ALL distro's.I cant possibly keep track of the 200+ distro's out there and all the goofy GUI's and hardware detection schemes used,nobody can.A few distro's come with EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, lately the popular flashy one's everyone seems to think is hip or cool dont.To me simplicity,completeness,and lack of bugs is the key, Id rather trade that for a little setup inconvenience anyday, cause sooner or later your going to have to learn commandline skills in linux whether you like it or not,just the nature of the beast.Unfortunatley most folks show up with zero commandline skills cause windows and apple have spent years doing everything they can to hide that control from a user.

U got that right.A lot of people download LINUX while thinking about windows and they are basically culture shocked by the differences.I have SuSE 9.1 and have it installed on this little toy Celeron and I have been experimenting with functionality,command line,and the like.....I have to admit,it's very nice indeed.I still use windows on my main PC,but like to play with my girl SuSE on the side.

I wish linux didnt have the steep initial learning curve, I really do, more people would use it then.I also wish the other OS's taught basic procedures a little better too.But the bonus is, learn linux and you can sit down in front of anything and use it, whether its your fisrt time or not, I can get on an OS X machine and be right at home, or a windows machine for that matter, linux teaches you about computers, if you let it LOL.

The amount of freedom I think really puts the "zap" on some people's brains, its a jedi mind trick, all of a sudden you find out you really can do anything, and all of a sudden they dont know where to go or start.

Just look at my signature....He who rules the DOS...rules the computer.You can bet your rent money on that action.The end users are spoiled by the GUI.And yes....I must agree...even Palpatine would have been impressed by THAT mind trick...LOL.

I'm mainly messing with linux so that i can learn a little about Unix and programming methods. Because there will be no mission critical data on my linux side, so i can program on it all day long if i want. All Mission critical data is stored on a 30GB external drive without an OS.

Slowly but surely, I'm learning the commandline methods and whatnot. Editing config files is where you REALLY learn the power.

Yeah, you can't just throw in the disk and do everything with Linux like you can with Windows. You need to do some reading and configin' before yer flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom