linux install/uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenge2

In Runtime
Well i received the disk a few weeks ago and im just preparing to install it on my xp comp. (dual booting it.) I was going to use the program called wubi so that i could just uninstall ubuntu whenever i wanted to without skrewn the system up but then i realized i reached my monthly data limit from my ISP soooooo,

is there any other way in which i can install ubuntu from the disk and also have the option of uninstalling....without doing all that mbr and lpd stuff...

-thanks

Well uninstalling is always a option. It is jsut doing it with a true dual boot setup is not as easy as with wubi.

True dual-boot is better anyways, and you can uninstall it simply by deleting the Linux partition, resizing your Windows one back to full size, and fixing the MBR to boot Windows automatically.

So if i formatted the linux partition..how would i go about fixing the boot options??? :S. Do i use that mbr thing? if so how?????

-thanks

I think you can use a Windows disk and use the Recovery Console, type "fixmbr"...but I've never done this, as I don't have a real Windows disk (stupid recovery CD's).

I think Super Grub Disk will also remove the Grub (bootloader) entries from the MBR and reset it for Windows.

Calc is right. You would just insert the Windows Media and with XP you would go to the recovery console and type in fixboot and fixmbr. Wit Windows Vista you would use the Startup Recovery tool on the DVD.

I think SuperGRUB can do it as well. I will have to check that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom