Linux install troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
I decided I'd give linux a try, so I downloaded ubuntu 7.10. I get to step 4, or whatever the partitioning step is. Every single thing I try to do on the partition I set up earlier for linux gives me the same response, "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu". Seeing as how I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, I just started going down the line and selecting every file system that I could reformat in, and every one gives me the same response. I googled it and the few sites I read through had the same problem, but not really a solution. Any one else have this problem?

P.S.

I set up a 20g primary partition on my 80g drive in the ntfs format, in case that helps.

Try deleting the partition and let Ubuntu make its own in the space.

There should be a file path on the same display as the partitioning thing that says something like "/home/hda1", or in a similar format.

Click on the partition you want to install Linux on, select "Edit Partition", select the file path, and in the dropdown box, choose "/".

Hope that works.

Thanks trekkie. I usually read into stuff before I dive into it but I guess that wasn't the case with this. I need to spend a few days getting myself used to Linux, because it is quite confusing haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom