Linux Install Broblems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ya, you may end up having to put the kernel you need on a floppy and boot from that or a couple floppies, dunno for sure, Im not sure how far linux has come with SATA support, I know it works, not sure on what the steps are to do so, probably not difficult, but it probably wont be a insert disk and go type operation either.

If your still stuck here in a day or two, post back and I will see what I can find out.I can probably walk you thru it, just dont have time right this second.

Here is a link that explains installation of FC1 on sata drives.You have to get your SATA controllers first, so that you can make a boot disk. The instructions are give clearly here
http://fedoranews.org/contributors/mike_insch/sata/

I have a SATA and IDE drive , so ide got detected and files were installed on sata.So If you can get an IDE drive too, this problem can be solved.

Sign
Codes

i don't really have any of the requisites that the article specifies, but if i do have a spare ide drive, how would i go about setting up linux with that?

I want linux on the sata drive tho...

BTW thanks all for the replies!

idunnoe,

The best is to try a different kernel that detects your SATA drive.

Well if you go for the IDE drive, install both the OS in the sata drive with the MBR [boot record] remain in the IDE drive.
Thats what I did, but I cant remember how I did :( , i \just gave you the general idea.

But its better to get a different kernel or follow the link that I gave you before

Sign
Codes

that link doesn't help me unfortunatley i don't have another "donor" system to use.

How would i got about changing the kernel for it to work (with or with out the ide drive, i just want it to work...)

If you have the time what exactly do i have to do, i'm pretty in the dark about linux in general...

idunnoe,

You need a donor system just for creating a boot disk [dont have any friends around using fedora in their systems? ] .

I have no idea about changing the kernel parameters to detect the sata drive...maybe 'HORNDUDE' can help....:D

[echo mode on: Hey 'dude' where are yaaaa? ?? ' :rolleyes: ]

Sign
codes

ok I looked into this, without a donor system your going to have an extermely hard time,Rawrite(windows program) will write boot images to floppies, BUT getting the rest of the distro installed is next to impossible.The problem is the old kernel series in fedora core#1 doesnt have the drivers needed for the SATA controller chipset on your motherboard.There is a patch available but you need to have fedora installed first, so your stuck in a catch 22 situation here.

My advice, change distros, I know, that sucks, but it is probably the best solution.The newer kernels in the latest distros have SATA chipset support.I know slackware and a couple others work.Fedora #2 reportedly works.Another problem no matter which one you use is you may have to change the BIOS settings in order for the SATA controller to be recognized, try legacy option first and see what happens.SATA is relatively new and linux typically lags a bit behind windows when it comes to hardware support.From what Ive read SATA support in some cases is still a little buggy., you may have system hangs unless BIOS is right and everything else involved is ok.This is very similar to the problems with scsi drives in the past.

There arent any parameters you can pass to the kernel at boot to fix this, I checked that, and w/o a donor system your gonna have a rough time getting precompiled drivers on there.

idunnoe,
okay, time for distro change, dude get Fedora Core 3 ,its been released.!!! :D

4 cd's ,you can get it from redhat site..

;)

Sign
Codes
:)

since i do have dial-up, how (other than downlaoding) could i get fedora core 3?

or could i just wipe the ide hdd i have (~20gb) and hook it up with my current system and just have the two oses on 2 seperate physical hard drives?
and if i can how would i choose if i want to boot up with linux or xp (just f11 upon boot up and select boot device i suppose?)

i have to say thanks again for all the help, this has been a real pain... THANKS!

idunnoe,

since i do have dial-up, how (other than downlaoding) could i get fedora core 3?

Ah..dial ups :( ,

or could i just wipe the ide hdd i have (~20gb) and hook it up with my current system and just have the two oses on 2 seperate physical hard drives?

0) Leave the XP in the SATA drive as it is.
1) Format the IDE Hard Drive ,create an active partition in it.
2) Now boot with linux cd , your IDE hard drive should get detected by the linux installer
3) Setup linux... create manual paritions in the sata drive during the installation.
4) The setup should take care of everything.
5) Grub loader will be installed ,which will give you the option to select the different OS.

P.S : Please make backup of your DATA before proceeding with parititoning and installtion.!

i have to say thanks again for all the help, this has been a real pain... THANKS!
No problemo dude, we are here to help each other.!.

Gud Luck!
Sign
Codes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom