linux help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonbon

Beta member
hi i got a problem booting linux

i am a bit of a newbie

heres the problem

i got this old computer from a freind and it has linux on it but i dont know what version it is and it keeps restarting when it says
loading linux.....

i have downloaded RIP disks rescue and when i run "to boot linux partion" and it gets to the log in then trys to contact a kdc sever, i have deleted the password the hard going into midnight commander, and i have tryed to find the file that contains the kdc information.

any help would be good

Is the data on the computer that important? Either or i would consider backing up anything u would want to save and installing a new version of linux. If you havn't already go to www.distrowatch.com or look at some other threads in this section for good distros to use.Another alternative would be to use a live cd; it boots a full linux os directly from cd or flash drive,allowing you to back up files or change files on the hard drive.

thanks for the reply

i was thinking about reinstalling, i have downloaded mandriva 10.2 but it was the wrong one and i dont think they suport my crapy computer - intel pentium mmx 200mhz 64mb ram, if you have any sugestions to what on i should get that would be good. and i was thinking about installing linux on my other system but i dont want to mess it up as it is my main computer and i use it for work - athlon xp amd 2400 gigabyte k7 motherboard 1gb ram 240gb hard disc setup in raid0 - do you thnk i would need the raid drivers to uninstall the hard drives and what version should i go for with my main computer

thanks bonbon

for your older system i would reccomend damn small linux. It comes as a livecd but can be installed to your hard drive or usb pendrive,and its only 50mb!! Puppy Linux is also a good choice it has gone through a lot of development recently.

For your newer computer i would reccomend ubuntu if you just want to make things easy.It can resize your windows partitions,which i've done safely, and should support your raid devices although i'm more of a software person not a hardware person so someone else will have to help you if ubuntu dosn't already support it.
Ubuntu is based on Debian which i love but without all the hassle.It all comes on one cd which saves a lot of time downloading, and adding new packages is easy. Mandriva is also not a bad choice but ubuntu is just simpler and just works in my opinion.

www.damnsmalllinux.com

www.ubuntu.com

lemme know how it goes and don't be afraid to ask quesdtions,especially about your new computer, if you get stuck don't risk your data just ask!!

thanks for your help

going to try damnsmallinux just now will report back later, hope its easy,

and i will check that other one out

i did a low level format and put the damnsmalllinux cd in and it booted up ok but i can seem to mount and devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom