linux on g5

Status
Not open for further replies.

uchiha

In Runtime
since the powerbook g5s are inevitable, I was think of getting one of these puppies. I dont feel like I have maximum control using OS x, and most of the time, they give me a linux feel anyway. I was wondering if it was possible to get a PPC distro and install on a powerbook...

I see no reason why it wouldn't be, but it's a niche within a niche, and support probably won't be so widespread. Additionally, you'll probably need to compile pretty much all your software yourself. If you use a Portage-like system, that won't be too much of an issue providing the repositories are kept well updated. It's definitely doable...just not an ideal situation. I'd personally rather just use OS X.

And you're relying on rumour articles to make the statement that it's 'inevitable'? I expect a fair amount of waiting due to all the thermal issues related to the G5.

thanks for the suggestions. but apple seems like a one way or another company. Im almost sure under normal circumstances a g5 powerbook will come in the near future.

Yeah the G5 powerbooks are going to be released in the second quarter of this year. I am gonna buy one with the new OS X tiger, it will be so sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom