Linux is the future

walcott

Solid State Member
Linux already won in all markets where there is no direct user interaction - servers, embedded devices of all kinds, even stuff around you that you don't suspect. Game over.

Then it's also wining big as the core of a lot of user iterable stuff, even if the interface is something else - smart televisions, android, a lot of POS or dedicated information screens.

(If you extend Linux to unix and count Darwin, sum all iOS and apple stuff)

So what remains? Desktop end-user interfaces. This is a endless war because everyone has different needs. There will always be market for windows, OS X, heavy users on Linux and simple terminals for browsing and email. This last case is where Linux is eating market, because of the lower total costs, not because it's free, but because it's a system that can be configured to be simple to use, secure, hence requiring no big formation or constant maintenance.

How similar is the Chrome os to the Android os?

I haven't had any opportunities to check out Chrome os

Last edited:
Microsoft will be Gone in less than 100 Years. That is just progress IMO.

I know Microsoft is trying to Fill the market with their Multi Platform as far as I'm aware OS unlike Apple keeping things separate and also as far as I'm aware back in the day the Idea was to keep things free, until Gates come along and charged every one doing deals behind closed doors.

How similar is the Chrome os to the Android os?

I haven't had any opportunities to check out Chrome os

ChromeOS is based on Linux, much like Android is largely based on Linux. That's the benefit of Linux, as you can take that "engine" and strap an operating system on top to interface with it.

Linux has played a central part of my life, both at home and at work, for a number of years now. We're running nearly 4,000 Ubuntu machines at work. Our network runs outstandingly better than the 2,000 count Windows systems that we used in my last environment (also a school district). There are still surprises and things to be aware of, but I find that the level of precise, automated management tools in Linux laps what is available in the Windows world several times over again. Sadly, I really never physically touch our Linux machines anymore, aside from the occasional hardware repair. But hey, that's a good thing, but people like me like to tinker. :p

Microsoft's success is based on profits. Giants will rise and fall. Linux is built entirely differently. There is no "killing" it.

Back
Top Bottom