Linux equivalents to popular Windows software

not nearly a compleat list on windows side I got about half way down full functionality $600 that is windows and office

The guy that maintains the list has a couple of notes at the top that you must not have seen.

"For those who interested more in Windows-software:
1) The "Windows" row in this table is not main. That's why it does not contains _absolutely_ all of existing software - only the best and popular programs"

"Attention! There may be many mistakes and bugs in the table!! "

The author also gives links to add progrmas, and to report mistakes and bugs. If you see something there that is wrong, or needs to be added, follow the directions at the top of the page.

PS. thanks for stickying this qiranworms

Just installed linux.I was looking at the equivalents to popular windows software.Tried to download some p2p but isn't installing properly.Can someone help?

phoenix said:
Just installed linux.I was looking at the equivalents to popular windows software.Tried to download some p2p but isn't installing properly.Can someone help?

What p2p software are you attempting to install? And what is yoir distribution? Limewire tends to work well on most distros of *nix

There are products that are equivilent however the names are always really stupid in linux.

Open Office = MS Office.

And because of stupid naming I cant recall any others.

Fabyfakid said:
OpenOffice is the best there is...It's amazing how the guys reversed-engineered Microsoft's MS Office programs in order to make .doc, etc. available as open source.

I'll second that. Very very awesome. I use it in place of Office on windows.

hilowe said:
http://www.nawaz.org/wiki/index.php?title=Table_of_Equivalents

All right, I found the same table on another site. Supposedly, this site is going to be updated more often. The original site hasn't been updated since 2003, and this one will supposedly be constantly updated.

Alrite! And plus, this is an open wiki, so people can add some if they want to freely! Instead of emailing the admin.

Awesome job finding this hilowe.
Awesome info.

EDIT: one of the reasons I'm keeping Windows on my laptop is the lack of a real Macromedia Flash editor on Linux. Cry.

hilowe said:

Just a heads up on this site. This is the link that I posted just above.

Apparently, the site has been spammed, and the table of equivalents was deleted by someone. There is currently only links to hotels and furniture on the site.

You can click the history tab, and go back to previous versions of the table, but to get past all of the advertising, it appears to me that you have to go to Aug 22nd.

Back
Top Bottom