Linux distro for newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joel2007

In Runtime
I know this question has been asked many times. This is not for me. I'm using Lubuntu and I'm happy with it.
My friend wants to try Linux. I'm thinking about give Linux Mint for her to try. Is Linux Mint XFCE or LXDE?
Any recommend?
Laptop Pentium M with 512MB ram. I worry about the wireless card built in won't work with some Linux distros?

If your wireless card is Atheros, you'll be fine. Gnome is the default, it has many different user interfaces.

If your wireless card is Atheros, you'll be fine. Gnome is the default, it has many different user interfaces.

Or Intel. Intel and Atheros have the best Linux support out there. If you're running Intel or Atheros, it's likely on a LiveCD you'll be able to connect to your wireless network since Atheros and Intel have their drivers built in, so even a LiveCD environment can support it. This is nice because you can see whether or not it'll work based on a LiveCD session where you don't have to spend the time installing it to know the answer.

Any recommendations on Xfce? I'm trying to stay away from GNOME and KDE. Plus the laptop only has 512MB memory.

Theres Mint LXDE and XFCE, Lububtu (LXDE) and Xubuntu (XFCE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom