Linux distro for newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I just tried out Lubuntu. It does work well But it's kinda slow compare to Windows XP on this computer.
I'm thinking about OpenSuse or Puppy Linux Or another distro?

About Ubuntu? No I hate Ubuntu. It's bloat. It's worst than Lubuntu.

Have you actually used Ubuntu? Or did you simply base that opinion off of the 20 seconds you used it on that old hardware prior to realizing it's not running as well as you like? It's the fastest booting distro on my system and one of the snappiest OS's throughout regular use my computer has seen, so I wouldn't consider it "bloat," but there are definitely distros out there that are lighter and less memory/processor intensive. I'm actually quite shocked that Lubuntu didn't work out. It's to be expected that Ubuntu was slower than Lubuntu, simply because you're comparing LXDE vs Gnome. Guess what? LXDE is lighter than Gnome. Fedora (also uses Gnome) would probably run just as bad on that rig. OpenSUSE would be just as bad and possibly a little worse. LXDE should have screamed on that rig if anything...

I would consider Ubuntu in the same learning curve class as OpenSUSE, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, etc. At least, I didn't feel any different to do the same tasks when I tried them for extended periods of time, even though some of them differed between interfaces (KDE, Gnome, etc). Even in Fedora I felt "the same." Considering LXDE and Gnome bombed out, that takes away most of the options above. I really think you need to sacrifice at this point and just go with DSL or something like it. I'm still in disbelief that LXDE didn't work on that rig, though...

Let us know what ends up working for you.

I will go with one of these: Puppy Linux, Lubuntu or Xubuntu?
Which one is the best for my computer specs?

Minimum requirements for Puppy Linux:

CPU : Pentium 166MMX
RAM : 128 MB physical RAM for releases since version 1.0.2 or failing that a Linux swap file and/or swap partition is required for all included applications to run; 64 MB for releases previous to 1.0.2
Hard Drive : Optional
CDROM : 20x and up

Not sure what the cd or cpu requirements are for L and X Ubuntu, but the RAM required is 192 mb so I'd go with Puppy given the choice of the three.

I will go with one of these: Puppy Linux, Lubuntu or Xubuntu?
Which one is the best for my computer specs?

Although I would suggest it's certainly a good idea to try both Xubuntu + Lubuntu just to see, by nature XFCE tends to run a tad heavier than LXDE. I'd wage a few bucks that Lubuntu if anything would be quicker than Xubuntu - but it's certainly worth a shot to try it and see what happens.

DSL and Puppy are known for being extremely thin distros. I'd be really tempted to grab one of those if I were in your shoes.

I suggest Ubuntu, it has great support, thriving community, and if with a bit of know how can be optimized to run to your specs. Its surely the easiest to use.

Debian is also a good choice, and so is linuxmint, from what I hear. For more options you could choose between slackware, archlinux, and gentoo, though these dont have nearly as quick of a learning curve as Ubuntu.

Most linux distros are highly customizable, if you go with any of the popular distros you cant go wrong.

debian based for the ez package management. and versitility
fedora for the enterprise
DSL or puppy for the minimal footprint
and gobo linux for the new file manager

gentoo is the best for hardcore linuxers
reactos is a windows hybrid os.

Remixed cat, I hate to contradict you but ReactOS is just a **** poor NT kernel that is trying to be 100% Microsoft compatable but failing miserably.

Well for prity much working on his own that guy has done a fair bit, but it's still far from ready for any kind of serious use even in a lab environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom