Not open for further replies.
I have used to some extent:
Puppy Linux 2.16 and 3.00
Ubuntu (the latest I believe)

I am somewhat acquainted with:
OpenSuse (Latest I believe)
Kubuntu (just got it in the mail)

I'd recommend puppy because:
1. It's small, enough so that it fits and runs and is usefull on a atleast 512meg flash drive, or any removable drive (you could run it off your digital camera lols)
2. Runs completely off of ram so it's very quick, and it starts up fairly quickly
- Starts up even faster if you boot it from the CD
- The way it runs off of ram is that every time you shutdown you save
that "session".
3. It can be a useful tool if your hard drive crashes and your in-efficient windows file system won't let you start up---- use it to boot up and access your files so you can back them up and re-re-reinstall windows.
4. It has a great amount of local help and tons of help if you just search google.
5. Even though it comes with almost everything you need already (seamonkey internet browser, email client, abiword word processor, a good wireless utility, and so on, the package installer has tons of available software that it'll download and install it'self. (like open office if you need more than just a "writer"
6. It's very easy to use. Takes a good like day if you're new to any operating system but windows, or if you're a linux noob. (which I am)

Ubuntu -
Haven't used it as much as puppy but it's pretty easy to install, has most of what puppy has and more, but it's not as small as
puppy. You can try it live without installing using the live CD that you can order for free.

Open Suse seems to be pretty easy to use, it takes some more knowledge of the commands you may need to install things and
what-not
Kubuntu isn't much different from Ubuntu as far as I know but I really haven't touched it much. I like the default colors better though.

All in all puppy is my favorite, and I would recommend it to be your first linux experience if you haven't yet used anything but windows.

Oh and most of all, all of them are of course open-source (meaning FREE) :D

----------Hope this helps with your choice. If any of this is wrong let me know, I also and a linux-noob.--------

UBUNTU ULTIMATE EDITION
it has many many many "tools n utilities " preloaded with it.
to name a few ,
wine,
wireshark,
vlc player and tons of other mm tools,
etc etc (to many to list here!!)
and plus it has the distinct advantage of being a ubuntu ie. the synaptic package management!!
UBUNTU ULTIMATE ROCKS!!
c ya!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom