Linux Distribution Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apache and Squid are applications, not sure what you meant by that Gloria.

First Linux distro for me was RH 6 or 7, I can't remember :eek:, works great, first time expose to Linux but it was a memorable time. Only problem was that my sound card don't work, only downside. It wasn't as smooth and fast as Windows 98, but it was way better overall.

I started out with suse 10.0, and the ability to configure and tweak KDE is like crack. But I borked that installation. I have Ubuntu on my old computer for Rossetta number crunching, but am stuck w/ xp on my main comp. I'm looking to get a system76 laptop and switch my parents to Ubuntu this spring or summer. For following linux for less than 2 years it's amazing how far it's coming along.

Fedora Core a little graphic intensive, but a fine distro none the less. Also it has SMART goals. Specific Measurable Achievable Result-oriented Time-constrained.

I use SUSE 10.2 and **** Small Linux.
I enjoy them both.
Only been using Linux for about a year now,But I intend to stay with the Linux format.

Here is a thread to post what distribution(s) you'd recommend, WHY, and whether you'd recommend that someone new to Linux try them.

Feel free to mention your distro of choice, and why you use it, as well as any distributions you would NOT recommend (don't forget the "why" on this one.)

All posts ASKING WHAT TO CHOOSE will be moved out of the thread, this is to recommend, not ask for recommendations.

Idea for this sticky PM'd to me by Hilowe...it's about time we have this...thanks!

update: A distribution chooser quiz: zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
Wow, thanks for that link. I'm contemplating the jump to Linux and have been doing alot of research and had been considering either openSUSE or Ubuntu..........I took the quiz from the link you provided and both of those were included in the 4 recommendations it made for me. I guess I'll flip a coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom