Linux Distribution Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qiranworms

Fully Optimized
Linux Distribution Recommendation Thread: Read this before asking what to choose!

Here is a thread to post what distribution(s) you'd recommend, WHY, and whether you'd recommend that someone new to Linux try them.

Feel free to mention your distro of choice, and why you use it, as well as any distributions you would NOT recommend (don't forget the "why" on this one.)

All posts ASKING WHAT TO CHOOSE will be moved out of the thread, this is to recommend, not ask for recommendations.

Idea for this sticky PM'd to me by Hilowe...it's about time we have this...thanks!

update: A distribution chooser quiz: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

I've used Fedora Core 2 and 3 before to set up DNS (BIND), Apache, and Squid Proxy servers.

I found it pretty easy to do so with the amount of online support and tutorials.

To be honest, I am still a Linux n00b, and am not really sure if some of the other distros might be better at such things.

I should really get to revising this. To be honest, I haven't used Ubuntu since version 4 (and 5 in beta). I also haven't been keeping up with the other distributions in its class (the sort of "noob friendly" type), such as Mandriva and SuSE. I've been a Gentoo user for over a year now. Additionally, I don't think I'd really recommend a "noob friendly" type distribution anymore in the first place. I think diving in all the way with Slackware, Debian, or even Gentoo is probably a better idea in the long run. In short, I no longer fully back all of the opinions/recommendations stated below.

First recomendation: Ubuntu Linux

This Debian-based distribution is excellent for the new user, yet something a more advanced Linux user would be happy with. Its installation is extremely simple, and it's put together with an approach that keeps things simple (not bloated), yet functional. Excellent hardware detection. The wonderful APT system of Debian, with a Synaptic for those who don't want to use the command line to download and install their software. It's a relatively new distro, but is extremely fast-growing, and the community is huge. The Wiki on the site is helpful.

Not only all that, but they'll actually send you FREE CDs with cover art and all, shipped free of all charges, without jumping through any hoops or filling out anything but a mailing address and making a username/password. I know...not so significant in making a good distro, but it's a nice touch. :)

Second recommendation: Gentoo Linux

This is a distribution with the idea that the user chooses everything. It's centered around Portage, which is essentially the package management tool. People who want to push their computer to every possible performance limit ("ricers") supposedly use Gentoo because everything Portage doesn't download prebuilt binaries like most distributions, it downloads the source and compiles it with specific options set by the user, which results in a more efficient and often smaller binary, since you can choose not to compile support you don't need. "Ricers" are also the reason Gentoo users get made fun of a lot. The effectiveness of such "optimization" is arguable. The installation is a lot more tedious than most distros (well, maybe not linuxfromscratch.org :p), since you essentially have to download and compile the major components of the system yourself, and configure everything yourself, choose all hardware yourself, etc. At the beginning, you have a very basic system with nothing installed, but the end result once everything is completely set up is a system totally tailored specifically to your needs. The other thing, is that for a new Linux user with a lot of time on their hands (as in several days, not to mention time for leaving the system compiling things like KDE/GNOME overnight which take ridiculous amounts of time), can learn a LOT about Linux and become more familiar with how to do things, and how to troubleshoot, by going through the installation. The detailed Gentoo Handbook on the website can teach a lot, as can solving the issues that are sure to come up when going through the installation.

I currently use Gentoo, but if I had to do it over again, I'd probably be lazy and go Ubuntu, because of how long Gentoo takes to get installed, despite how awesome it is once it's done. Despite slowness of compiling and all, I really love Portage. :)

:bump:

This is very informative for the Linux n00b like myself. The biggest question that opne asks when they first start with Linux is, what distro.

Everyone told me Slackware, but I just couldnt get the damn thing installed. Maybe it's my crappy laptop, maybe it's my Linux n00bn355, who knows. Point is, it was far too difficult for me to be able to figure out on my own with no prior knowledge of Linux. I'm sure it's great once you get into it, but if my n00bn3ss stops me from being able to install it, I'm sure it will with alot of other people. Personally, although I'm very new with Linux, I would recommend a graphical interface fopr installing. A command line is rather intimidatingif you have NO clue what you are doing. And since this is software, and you wont lose out on money if you screw up, it is more than ok to just dive straight into it without and clue as to what you are doing.

For a first time linux experience I'd recommend SimplyMepis, it's debian based and runs as a live cd. It features a good set of multimedia software.

For everyday office type use I'd say Mandriva simply because it's slick and works well if you don't want to much from it.

To learn the ins and outs of linux you'll need to get to grips with Slackware, Debian or Gentoo, of those Slackware is my favourite for the reasons mentioned above by Horndude.

SuSe
stable, good collection of software
relies on debian pkgs I believe
not a complete distro compared to some others
has a good setup GUI for most things
good for newbies till something doesnt work quite right,then it can be a bear to deal with in some ways
SuSE is RH based, so it uses the RPM system. The GUI setup is OK; YaST (Yet another Setup Tool is what it stands for, I believe) is nice, but can be unreliable; I've had it randomly crash for no reason. Also, GNOME and KDE don't play well together. It lacks several packages everyone should have, like gcc and whatnot.

In a nutshell, you love it at first, then hate it. So I don't recommend it.

If you want something good, get Slack or a Deb based distro. Both are very nice for learning about how Linux works.

Fedora Core 4 it is the newest verion of Fedora and Redhat. It's easy to use enough said there and it uses the redhat packedge system.

As for slackware I don't recommend it and I know that is against what many say. But I will say slackware is a "pure" linux and people change things for reasons or windows users would still be using windows 3.1

SuSe is good no doubt about it but I don't recommend it because you have to pay for it Linux is an open source and should be free it's origanal purpose was to be free.

macdude425 said:
SuSE is RH based, so it uses the RPM system.
FYI Suse was originally based on Slackware.
Tyler1989 said:
But I will say slackware is a "pure" linux and people change things for reasons or windows users would still be using windows 3.1
Slackware follows the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle in its design, other distros have opted to make things easier for noobs by adding lots of graphical configuration tools which, although very easy to use add a considerable amount of complexity and provide much more scope for errors. Contrary to popular belief Slackware does use a simple graphic installer and provides configuration scripts. Most people installing a recent version will have no need to manully edit a conf file, at most they might need to run xorgconfig, netconfig and alsaconf.
Somehow equating Slackware to windows 3.1 is ridiculous, all linux distros run virtually the same software. If I wanted to compare Slackware to windows I say it's more like a copy of XP Pro thats been updated and stripped of all the rubbish with nLite.

macdude425 said:
SuSE is RH based, so it uses the RPM system. The GUI setup is OK; YaST (Yet another Setup Tool is what it stands for, I believe) is nice, but can be unreliable; I've had it randomly crash for no reason. Also, GNOME and KDE don't play well together. It lacks several packages everyone should have, like gcc and whatnot.

In a nutshell, you love it at first, then hate it. So I don't recommend it.

If you want something good, get Slack or a Deb based distro. Both are very nice for learning about how Linux works.

I couldn't have said it better myself. SuSe overall is a good operating system, and the KDE GUI has been customised very nicely and is probably one of the nicest available for *nix. However SuSe lacks a lot of libraries and functionality in the command line, and lacks a compiler..which is verfy usefull to have. In short, I want to replace my SuSe system to Fedora as I have outgrown the OS, and it is extremely buggy in various areas. I am deciding between FC4 or Mandrake. Anyone with a reccomendation? SuSe also has crippled media support, and getting Mplayer ro run so you can play .wmv's is a chore in itself, and lets face it, .wmv accounts for 90 percent of clips on the web.

SuSe is good no doubt about it but I don't recommend it because you have to pay for it Linux is an open source and should be free it's origanal purpose was to be free

Tyler, you are indeed incorrect. SuSe is a free distro, available from many download sites. Check out http://iso.linuxquestions.org/ for downloads of all decent linux distributions. Suse 9.1 personal is the best SuSe in the range.

Fedora is a great starter OS, as it is easy to install, but it lets you learn Linux as well. But if you really want to get up to your knees in Linux right away, I recommend trying Gentoo out! It will be difficult, so if you're not up for some reading and challenging, then don't do it. But it really is one of the best ways to learn what goes into an OS and they have the most helpful forums of ANY linux flavor. You can find help for anything on there, and if you can't find it, just post and you will get a response very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom