Linux default OS

Just been looking at VM Ware. Its pretty neat TBH. I mean having an OS running with in an OS. I can Imagine it would prove complex for a beginner to set something like that up if your running it along with utilizing resources on the Host OS. I'm thinking if you were to set up a VM as in Nix* with in a Windows environment. Having something like a Quad Core or Duel Socket Quad Core CPU on a Home Tower Server would prove interesting for Web Hosting, File Sharing and anonymous communication .

Its very simple to set up a OS in a VM, try oracle virtualbox. I even use VM on old laptops with dual-core, 4GB RAM.

Always good to have VM so you can test out OS's at least.

Linux has been my primary OS for almost 10 years now.
13 years in total linux experience, find it much better than windows

Command line use can be avoided if one knows the tools one has

And the average person won't know. They just want things to work.

True, but distros like Linux Mint can achieve such things

Yeah but the moment they need help doing something and if they decide to try and Google what they want to do / their problem, they'll get a bunch of results with obscure commands (to them) to run.

maybe belongs in another thread or post butt.........
who knows a good you tube series for Microsoft Hypervisor>

I have used VMWare and VirtualBox both are user friendly- Have not used MS HV yet and since it comes installed on win 8 pro thought I might give it a go-

Yeah but the moment they need help doing something and if they decide to try and Google what they want to do / their problem, they'll get a bunch of results with obscure commands (to them) to run.

Depends on the user there, if a user is that stupid not even windows is safe for them if they want something easy as after all in windows one can catch a virus quite easily if one has no idea what software to use and download

Last edited:
Depends on the user there, if a user is that stupid not even windows is safe for them if they want something easy as after all in windows one can catch a virus quite easily if one has no idea what software to use and download

Which is exactly what the average user is :p.

Being honest I like to think of my self as pretty street smart with Windows and PC \ Computers Tech. I do regular scans, regular drive wipes, change passwords often, and don't go jumping from link to link and everywhere and anywhere online. I have protection in real time and also most of all; common sense is a big key and part to play staying safe online.

I agree, I find the moment I send someone a link to a basic troubleshoot, like tell me ipconfig log, their like, "can you please come and do it for me"...

In a Linux OS, to get the tools and GUIs, youll need to do a bit of configuration normally and most normal users who buy there PCs from retailers and get sold a AV for £50 because they dont know how to DL a safe copy of AV from the net, do not have a clue about configuration and get put off.. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom