Linux default OS

1etherer

Fully Optimized
I was wondering, who here uses Linux (ubuntu, redhat etc) as their main / default OS, over Windows / OSX?

I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu over Windows 7 / 10.. wondering your thoughts! :cool:

( I feel like a change)

I was wondering, who here uses Linux (ubuntu, redhat etc) as their main / default OS, over Windows / OSX?

I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu over Windows 7 / 10.. wondering your thoughts! :cool:

( I feel like a change)

At the minute I'm running Mint. I'm currently running different kernels for every OS and also in 32 and 64 Bit variations across my SO \ HO Network.

Linux is sweet as. You don't have to pay for it, all updates are available weekly unlike Microsoft Windows were as you have to wait for an official release and finally its community driven by people who want to do this for the benefit of other people unlike Microsoft what is Profit orientated.

I have 6 Machines doing SETI from what I've jumped to FAH and then Rosetta and back to SETI.

I know Mint and most variations are Ubuntu based. I have my main machines what is Windows I use daily but I'm hesitant to fully switch over because I don't want to loose my Windows OS installation simply because if I do when its gone its gone.

A few years ago I had a fully legit copy of 7HP 64 Bit what I swear to god rite I promise you this. I gave it away. It had just come out and at the time Windows XP was still going strong and I hesitated. Didn't occur to just keep it. The gye I gave it too I fell out with but Meh; hes a Jack any how.

i2D__ Have you ever had trouble with networking under 7 HP. I know its supported I think until 2020 but Linux is intimidating if you don't know were to start.

great thing about linux is you can customize it. and b/c it is community driven there is tons of support out there! I have gone back and forth with linux and windows- I will say there is a great deal of info for any issues you run into when leaving the windows environment- but just like any OS it takes time to get used to-

I suggest researching the terminal and commands- (love the terminal)

if you enjoy researching it linux is a fun trip!

I use Ubuntu and Kali but been thinking of replacing my windows with ubuntu.. I love terminal which is why I started using Linux, but CBA for a dual boot and I do have VMs for windows... So was thinking how it is to have it as your core OS? All files, data, program's etc...

ATM I use Linux for projects and diagnostics.

I prefer Windows as a host and then Linux as guest.

Hows does that work? How would you have a Guest OS, I'm presuming you're running it as a duel boot? Or am I wrong?

This IMO is why desktop Linux won't be mainstream

Linux being a massive area for enthusiasts, businesses ECT: I honestly don't think Linux is needed as a main stream OS for the majority of people.

In my experience people want the start button, I know rite; :lol: . But most people just don't get it. At least not for the time being.

Just been looking at VM Ware. Its pretty neat TBH. I mean having an OS running with in an OS. I can Imagine it would prove complex for a beginner to set something like that up if your running it along with utilizing resources on the Host OS. I'm thinking if you were to set up a VM as in Nix* with in a Windows environment. Having something like a Quad Core or Duel Socket Quad Core CPU on a Home Tower Server would prove interesting for Web Hosting, File Sharing and anonymous communication .

Back
Top Bottom