Linux Compatibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnkFloyd27

In Runtime
I am going to be using Linux when I build my new computer. I just want to know, what kind of hardware is not supported by Linux? I have gone to the distribution sites and looked at their non-compatible devices lists and stuff but sometimes I am still unsure. I am going to be using Ubuntu at first to get used to and learn about the Linux environment, then I will be switching over to Slackware. I would like to know if all of my hardware is compatible. I really don't feel like posting all of my hardware that I plan on getting but I can tell you that it is all, I think, high-end hardware. If you need me to post it I will.

Just don't get an ATI card or a Creative X-Fi sound card.

The only things you need to be careful of are wireless cards and some motherboard chipsets... the ATI ones for example.

Usually, i'd agree with the General, especially about linux because i'm still a linux noob, but i haven't had a problem with my X800XT under linux. Granted, it is two years old, i didn't have a problem with it two years ago when i tried linux.

I also have not have a problem ATI cards. Though ATI will not properly document their hardware so basically Linux can not use it effectively. Here is a link by the Free Software Foundation that lists supported hardware ===> FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION

The NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI is okay, I'm going to assume, right?

And I'm using an XFS video card not ATI so that's all set.

Okay thank you.

My video card uses GDDR3, which was made by ATI, I think, and I don't think that that will have a problem in Linux but I just want to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom