Linux Command Line Help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Hello Linux Guru's.... I don't frequent this section often. My D-Link DNS-323 is running on a linux system, but I am not sure which version.

I have telnet access to the box, and I am getting more comfortable getting around. I am wondering if there is a specific command to issue to see all the special modifiers (not sure of the correct terminology here) after a command...

for example....

ls will list the files in the directory....
ls -l will give more info including rwx, ownership, etc. etc.
ls -a will list files including hidden files....

Is there a way to do 'ls ?' or something that will print out a list of all the "modifiers" that can be used for the ls command?? Does such a help feature exist?

Thanks all!!

Usually -h or --help will show a help page that shows all of the different options that the command can take. It doesn't work with all commands, but most of them seem to have a help page.

Try:

ls -h
ls --help

When putting a command that is a full word, you usually use --, when a single letter, you usually use -.

EDIT:
Just tried, -h doesn't work but --help does.

ls --help

Thanks, man, that was EXACTLY what I was looking for.. :D

You will probably be seeing more of me in this section too, as I am fiddling with the NAS box, and setting up new features...

You can also use the "man" command to see if it has a manual page. The ls command does indeed have one.

man ls

Thanks Greg, I will have to keep that in mind for the future... unfortunatly, this application doesn't support that function.....

/ # man ls
/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/bin/sh: man: not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom