Linux comaptible hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbc

Banned
I am thinking of converting from Windows to Linux with a new computer at home. I am told that not all Linux distributions will work on all hardware platforms and one must be very careful to only install Linux on hardware that has been certified for that distribution of Linux. I am further told that one must look up the certifications on the distribution makers web site and make sure that the hardware is compatible with the Linux distribution. Am I mis-informed? I am thinking of buying hte new PC with Linux pre-installed, from someone like HP. This way HP deals with the compatibilities issues and I do not need to be concerened. I am just a bit fed up with Microsoft's lingering security problems. I am convinced that Microsoft is not capable of producing a secure PC environment. Linux is secure and has been secure for ages now.

jbc said:
I am just a bit fed up with Microsoft's lingering security problems. I am convinced that Microsoft is not capable of producing a secure PC environment. Linux is secure and has been secure for ages now.
I strongly believe it is the ignorance of the user that makes the whole problem worse, Windows can be locked down pretty well in the hands of a good admin, similarly Linux can be configured to be very insecure in the hands of a user that doesn't know any better.

Most hardware will work with Linux, the problems lie with the most modern chipsets, as there hasn't been time for someone to reverse engineer the Windows driver and write a driver and have it put in the kernel source. Exotic chipsets can also be a problem, as not many users have them there isn't as much demand for a driver for linux.

Before I buy a piece of hardware I search on google and see what other people's experiences are with said hardware. If there seem to be many problems, then I'll look for something else.

macdude425 said:
The hardware is probably more an of an issue than the name on the front of the case. Know your hardware, and do some research on how well it will work with Linux (and if you need any special drivers/programs).

some people dont know that theres anything else to whats in there computer other than brand name / model number.

"dimension 4500"

... "presario"

the front of my case says antec lol

hmmm.....the front of my case says 79.6 F

never heard of that corporation

If you do need specific software/drivers there is a huge community out there with the files. My vimicro webcam wouldn't work till I downloaded and installed Spx5xx.

As well, there are programs that will port or emulate windows software/drivers to work in a linux box. WINE is one, and for drivers, NDISWRAPPER is another one

good luck, and if you find something, don't forget to share with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom