Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are interested in computers and would like to learn more how operating systems work, then Linux is a great thing to get into. If you just want a windows alternative for an unimportant, arbitrarty reason or for the sake of jumping on a techie bandwagon then you should just go ubuntu.

If you actually want to learn linux and get in the knitty gritty behind your software, I suggest going into something along the lines of Debian.

hmmm - so many options! It looks like ill end up down the road of Linux at some point, mainly for learning how OS work. Currently im curating windows xp (maybe to an advanced user level but no more) and i've just started learning Java (im really interested in code). I've also got a huge list of projects to try aswell (Linux being one). So, im going to be busy!

The first thing you need to do is choose a Distro, this can be quite Hard because there are so many to choose from, here is a Linux Distribution Chooser it should give you a good starting point if nothing else: zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

Next you will probably need to read a bit about Linux to get a general idea here are a few good links

The Ultimate Guide On Linux For Beginners
Linux.ie :: The Beginners Linux Guide

(needs firefox)
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

In terms of getting to grips with the basics of Linux, basic commands etc this site is really good (you need Java)

Linux Survival :: Where learning Linux is easy

hope this gets you started

Jake

Doesn't seem like you can dual boot between a Linux system and XP then on start up - which would have been great.

What a load of tosh I am running 4 operating system on my laptop; Xp, Vista, Ubuntu and Maryan. I don't really have a reason to apart from i find it very hard to concentrate when I am meant to be revising. Theres a magical piece of software called the grub bootloader handles everything for you and you can change the settings so the the default operating system after a certain time limit (which you can edit) with no interaction will load and get your pc up and running. Also you can use vmware which I know nothing about except that it enables you to run 2 operating systems at the same time with linux being like a window in Windows or vice versa.

I find that distro chooser rather unimaginative I use distrowatch.com "top50 list" and screenshots but thats because I am more intrested in the shiny stuff then how functional or easy it is to use

Clark33, I would recommend Linux Mint. I have a dual XP and Linux Mint system - the installer sets it up automatically. You should be able to find a guide to installing it dual boot by searching google. Linux mint is based on ubuntu, but has a very windows-like start menu (perhaps even better, depending on your taste), and includes all the drivers and codecs ubuntu doesn't (mp3, flash etc).
Some things to keep in mind: Linux is not for games. You can get some cool free games, but you won't be playing no Crysis or Fallout 3. Everything else is fine, with the added benefit of being free.

Hope this helps

Why do you guys use Linux - is it aimed at techie pro's for mucking about with the file system?

Why do I use it? Well, I built a computer a few years ago and realized, oh crap I don't have an operating system. In an attempt to simply get my computer online so I could at least get email and have instant messenger, I installed Linux (Ubuntu) based on a past talk I had with my cousin who's a Linux guy.

After I got it installed, I realized what all it could do for cheaper prices...

Nero is a powerful burning application for Windows, but it costs money. Even better than Nero is k3b, a free burning application for Linux.

Along with certain free programs only available on Linux, Linux also supports a wide range of open source applications that cost no money.

My typical Ubuntu Linux computer has been configured to be a backup server with designated password shares for the entire household. The rest of my family, primarily using Windows XP, can map a network drive to their designated share which routes down to my computer. Why do I do this? Well, I set this up after my brother's computer bluescreened several times and he lost everything several times over. Now my brothers and mother create backups with ease, which synchronizes all of their documents with my computer, which is located down here in the basement.

You have office utilities.
You have burning applications.
You have multimedia applications.
You have graphic editing applications.
Web browsing, instant messenger, email.
...which didn't cost you a cent. :)

Mak is right. Linux has a slightly higher learning curve. But once you get the jist of it and you realize it's not Windows, it'll come to you. My biggest problem when I started was, I was too busy with things like "where's the start button at?" instead of being open minded and learning how this completely different operating system operates.

My thoughts after being on Linux for 3 years: To me, Windows is foreign anymore. After seeing the stability, security, and capabilities of Linux, it makes me wonder how Microsoft is still as big as it is.

Is Microsoft bad? No. They have their purposes just like Linux does. However, I just came to realize I'd rather pay nothing and get more than pay money and get less.

Im definitely sold on Linux, i just need to find the time now to set it up as a dual boot and then afterwords explore it. I'll probably opt for "tothemax6" recommendation on Linux mint. looking forward to checking out all the applications that come with it and see how it compares to Microsoft (as that's all i've ever used).

Does the linux system automatically detect what drivers you need and install them during installation? Im assuming that my XP drivers are non-transferable to Linux, as drivers would "drive" your hardware to work with a specific operating system, rather than general operating systems?

Im definitely sold on Linux, i just need to find the time now to set it up as a dual boot and then afterwords explore it. I'll probably opt for "tothemax6" recommendation on Linux mint. looking forward to checking out all the applications that come with it and see how it compares to Microsoft (as that's all i've ever used).

Does the linux system automatically detect what drivers you need and install them during installation? Im assuming that my XP drivers are non-transferable to Linux, as drivers would "drive" your hardware to work with a specific operating system, rather than general operating systems?

Yes, Linux uses it's own drivers. A lot of devices will work right away in Linux according to things I have read. I am no expert, but from what I have read online and in books - and to an extent, here - Linux distros have improved device support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom