Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
I've heard lots of people talking about using Linux as an alternative to windows. I have only ever used windows and was wondering why there would be a need to use anything other than? Is Linux aimed at IT Pro's for doing further things with their operating files???
Many thanks.

We have a whole forum dedicated to Linux. There are plenty of topics right here that can answer just about everything you asked. Just read thru the many topics posted recently by Osiris.

It is hard to miss. ;)

If you have any specific question on a distro or something like that. We will be glad to help. Being you have such a wide open question about Linux in general you will get various opinions.

Linux isnt just for Pros anymore. IT can be used by everday people. It has a higher learning curve. But it isnt all that hard. I used Windows for all my life on a PC. Starting back with Windows 3.1 as my first major OS.

I recently went to Ubuntu and i must say it is a good OS. Only took me about a week to learn overall. Is there a need to change? Not if you dont want to. Is there a want to change? Sure we always want to see what else is out there.

The things Linux can do is amazing with less hardware requirements than Windows. Compiz can be done on a system that would only run Win98SE. So it is truly amazing.

But it is something you have to want to do. Linux can be all powerful. There is much room for learning and growth with it. But you have to want to do it.

I've just read about Linux on Wikipedia, and got to admit - im no further forward. So, if i was to download and install Linux, this would give me an alternative OS that I could choose on a boot-menu (im pre-supposing that)?

Why do you guys use Linux - is it aimed at techie pro's for mucking about with the file system?

Why do you guys use Linux
cause its free or/and cause they hate MS or biased against them or Apple.
others like to code on it. its an OS plain and simple, just a platform to perform applications.
oftentimes, most apps are free as well...its all about the $$. if windows works for you then stick with it.

I use linux firstly because its free why not try it and there are so many different operating systems that come under the umbrella term linux so you can try a new flavour each month. Most are extremely flexible allowing you to build up packages that suit you and your needs. My old laptop is running ubuntu with a Macosx interface and rigged to be a music centre and internet as thats all I need from a computer in the kitchen. I have "uninstalled" lots of the extra packages which simply will not be used and hog resources.

Linux is just Open source and yet self-regulated so your environment is safe also it doesn't get common spyware/adware/viruses as its not popular enough to be targeted. As its opensource its a lot more dynamic whilst windows takes time to do the bureaucracy thing on its updates they are usually fixed a week or two after flaws are found. Ubuntu per example has an extremely rapid turn around about 1-2 days and its fixed, lots of people in there basements working at the same problem are faster then a small crack windows team of superprogrammers its just simply a numbers thing.

I've just read about Linux on Wikipedia, and got to admit - im no further forward. So, if i was to download and install Linux, this would give me an alternative OS that I could choose on a boot-menu (im pre-supposing that)?

Why do you guys use Linux - is it aimed at techie pro's for mucking about with the file system?

You can try a LiveCD, which is a Linux "distro" (distribution) that is burned to a CD that you make from an .iso image. That way you run it from the CDRom and install it to the HDD only if you want to.

Thanks for the replies. I'll read up on the links that Mak123 gave me today and then will be a bit more clued up about it. Doesn't seem like you can dual boot between a Linux system and XP then on start up - which would have been great. My PC is to high-spec to be used for testing but ever since I got my Microsoft Certifications i've been doing a lot more techie stuff. Best idea might be to get hold of an older PC, that I can install Ubunto on (with Compiz). Then i can test linux, try over-clocking, upgrade parts etc without fear of loosing my system (as the thought of being without a system would give me no-end of nightmares).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom