Laptop runs hot after Ubuntu install

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyE

Baseband Member
I'm using Ubuntu 6.06 on my HP laptop and it seems to run hotter since installing. The fan kicks on every now and then like it did with Windows but feels hotter to the touch overall.

I thought that control of the fan was handled by BIOS, correct?

Any thoughts on why it's hotter?

I dunno, I would think that Linux being much less of a resource hog than windows would be using less power. Not certain though.

I mean something is controlling the fan on the bottom of my laptop. It's not on all the time then kicks on when things get warm. Seems that with Ubuntu it's not on as much as it should be.

Turning fans on and off IS controlled by the OS via ACPI. Linux ACPI isn't yet as ideal as Windows, since they're still having to reverse engineer it.

Yours is a strange problem to me; when I loaded Debian Sarge on my dad's laptop, it seemed to run cooler than Windows. Go figure.

Ok, thanks. I guess what I was really looking for here is what controls the fans. Good to know that it is the OS.

Everything is running stable, it's just making me a little nervous. Right now the area around the touch pad is quite warm to the touch. Never had that w/ Windows. That's not to say that I miss Windows however

MikeyE,

I am in Agreement with Macdude on this one strange problem this! anyway maybe ubuntu might be sucking your laptop recouces up, RAM, CPU etc. I know that when I installed Ubuntu on my Pentium II 350 64Meg RAM she ran real hot, what are the specs of the laptop maybe that particular distro is not ideal for your Laptop.

Try Here:
http://tuxmobil.org

See what people have used on your model of Laptop

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom