Kubuntu vs. Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares? The majority of his post was informative and relevant to the thread. You don't have to stand up for Vista every time someone one-sentence bashes it.

:laughing:

Sorry have to laugh at that. Vista is painful to configure? Since when? I do not have a single driver to find. I do not have to install anything extra. Install Vista, Go to Windows Update get all my recent drivers.

Lets see Kubuntu (Ubuntu) install. Restart. Install updates, restart, install Restricted GFX driver, restart.

Your right. Vista is a pain. That single restart after installing the updates is a pain compared to the 3 or 4 i had to do after installing Ibex...:rolleyes:

Sorry but each user experience is different. To try and get people to dislike Vista cause you had a bad experience is not the way to go. I have had more than my fair share of crashes, failures and OS destruction when i started to use Linux. Yet to this day i still recommend it. I even installed it for my wife and family. Even after having to install it at least a dozen times to get it setup right on my PC.

Yet i dont talk bad of it. Looks like everyone just like to make Vista the whipping post. This is almost as bad as the Apple commercials now. They dont even bother to advertise their stuff. They just take pot shots at Vista. I wonder if someone who didnt know about PC's saw that if they knew it was a Mac Commercial....doubt it.

Granted, each user experience is different, and you happened to luck out with Vista. I can assure you, if your stuff isn't working out of the box in Vista, it can be quite a beast to get running.

For me, Ubuntu is very simple to set up... and I've installed it on quite a few computers and haven't had much trouble at all. First thing I do is hit up the software resources and pick the fastest server. Then, install updates. (Hey, Vista has updates too, doesn't it? ;) ). Then, install the restricted driver and reboot 1 time. After that, I just tinker with compiz and get samba running. When it's all said and done, it may take me maybe 15-20 minutes to get all of my applications running, all of my data transferred to the designated drive, along with getting my samba network backup shares running. Not bad... Not bad at all. ;)

After attending a Linux event at our dorm and seeing what others have done with KDE4.1, I decided to give it a try (simply installed kubuntu-desktop to my current GNOME-based Ubuntu install). I have to say, it's pretty impressive, but still not as easy to use as GNOME. The windows look great, it has smooth window shading and buttons, almost Mac-like, which is pretty cool, but it ran kinda slowly for no real reason (dragging widgets on the Desktop, even on my 2.5GHz C2D 8600M GS laptop, worked at like 2 frames per second. Not exactly sure why this happened but it was pretty annoying. I'm going to try it more, I have the hard drive space so I should probably install all the desktop environments just to try them out. I just installed Xubuntu on my older laptop, though GNOME runs just as well so I'm not sure why you'd need Xfce.

You are the first person I have seen to say Ubuntu is bad, can I ask why? It's debian based, has some of the best if not the best community support out there and it also has the largest non server user base out there.

You're very lucky. I'd love to use Ubuntu at work, but I'm using XP.

I am still puzzeld that he hates it, Every person I know who has used Linux for any amount of time (I am talking days) loved it.

Yeah boo hoo that no matter how popular Linux gets it still wont even be as popular as Windows ME...:rolleyes:

I would argue that that's already false. A lot of the world uses Ubuntu. In fact, I feel like America is the slagger here with the Linux community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom