knoppix q

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4RK GR4YL3N

In Runtime
can you boot knoppix from a cd in a system without a formatted hd? i want to use it to test my new computer b4 i put something permanent on

yea thanks i tried it on my new system and it worked fine. for some reasons i thought it needed windows installed but i was wrong

That's the great thing about Knoppix. It's also an excellent way to try out Linux without making any commitements...or even temporary partition commitements. I've already done an HD install of it (open the root terminal and type "knoppix-installer"), but I'm definetly keeping the CD. Who knows when I might need to instantly boot some machine without setup?

great link, thank you :) a hardware tech at my college was telling me how knoppix can be used to fix computers that won't boot. it can be booted right off the CD and you can use TCP/ IP file transfer, very cool!

he says it is an operating system on it's own and uses little resources, perfect for slow old machines. and as i remember he said no hard drive is needed.

ive been using knoppix for a couple weeks, not actually installed on my hdd, but the only disadvantage is BECAUSE it reads from the cd its semi-sluggish, and wont simulate the true feel of a linux installation.
WORKS BETTER THAN WINDOWS THOUGH! :)
dIMITRI

I've been using knoppix for almost 4 months now .. i think it's great ..

yes eksine .. its awesome .. though u'll find it a bit sluggish at times ..
Another good thing about it is that .. u can save the files u work on directly into ur windows partitions .. Don't even have to bother mounting the partitions etc..

u can save the files u work on directly into ur windows partitions

thats cool. I just downloaded KNOPPIX and was wondering about that. So how does that work then, it uses a NTFS system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom