knoppix -> external harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

The General

Banned
so i have an 80gb external harddrive, how can i stick knoppix into it to so that i can save settings and files and all the good stuff to where its like the lacie knoppix external harddrive?

oh and would my 1gb usb flash drive be too small for something like that?

thanks

edit: actually it'd be nice if i could put debian on it running gnome instead of knoppix/kde

i cant say for sure about debian but there are certain linux flavours which are so small that you cant put the entire os in a floppy!!!!!. so your 1gb flash drive could very well be used with another linux flavour. just try googling for it. good luck!! c ya!!!

yeah see what i want is a full fledged OS, openoffice, k9copy, k3b all that good stuff, i just need to know how to put it on an external harddrive.. could i run the debian installer and install it on the external harddrive and when i askes to install grub on the master boot record tell it no and then tell it to install grub on the external harddrive?

i dont know too much about grub, boot loaders, bootable anything, someone help please

i think you can try what you said. but you can also do one more thing. during installations it will ask for the root's mount point , see if you can give it the path of your external hdd. i dont know much about bootloaders too so this is just a suggestion. good luck!! c ya!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom